permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Off Grid Water Systems

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Off Grid Water Systems
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 10:53:45 -0500

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 9:59 AM, Alan Enzo <ecoenzo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Currently I recommend simple sand and activated charcoal filters

Here you go about sand filters:

Biosand Filters Google Group
https://groups.google.com/forum/?nomobile=true#!forum/biosandfilters
This group is maintained by CAWST (Centre for Affordable Water and
Sanitation Technology) to provide udates, generate feedback and discussion
on the implementation of Biosand Filters.
For more information visit CAWST's Biosand Filter Knowledge
<http://biosandfilters.info/>, CAWST's website <http://www.cawst.org/>, and
learn about our training
<http://www.cawst.org/en/what-we-do/training-programs> and services
<http://www.cawst.org/en/what-we-do> as well as education and training
material for download <http://resources.cawst.org>.

CAWST *Biosand Filters Knowledge Base <http://biosandfilters.info/> *
A practitioner's Knowledge Base
http://biosandfilters.info/technical/fact-sheet-biosand-filter
http://biosandfilters.info/
Fact Sheet: Biosand Filter
Submitted by omills on Mon, 2011/10/10 - 9:58pm
*The Treatment Process*

*Potential Treatment Capacity*
* Very Effective For:* * Somewhat Effective For:* * Not Effective For:*
·Bacteria
·Protozoa
·Helminths
·Turbidity
·Taste, odour, colour ·Viruses
·Iron

·Dissolved chemicals

*What is a Biosand Filter?*

The biosand filter (BSF) is an adaptation of the traditional slow sand
filter, which has been used for community water treatment for hundreds of
years. The BSF is smaller and adapted for intermittent use, making it
suitable for households.

Water treatment is carried out by the sand inside the filter. The filter
container can be made of concrete, plastic or any other water-proof,
rust-proof and non-toxic material. The concrete filter box is cast from a
steel mold or made with pre-fabricated pipe.

The container is filled with layers of sieved and washed sand and gravel
(also referred to as filter media). There is a standing water height of 5
cm above the sand layer.

As in slow sand filters, a biological layer of microorganisms (also known
as the biolayer or schmutzedecke) develops at the sand surface, which
contributes to the water treatment.

A perforated diffuser plate or basin is used to protect the biolayer from
disturbance when water is poured into the filter.

AND:

About 17,700 results (0.77 seconds)
Search Results
Fact Sheet: Biosand Filter | Biosand Filters Knowledge Base
<https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwib5PO4kLDQAhVHYiYKHRp8AKcQFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbiosandfilters.info%2Ftechnical%2Ffact-sheet-biosand-filter&usg=AFQjCNE1ZBmMc3nmJ0w3HhCpiH6vSkFTGg&sig2=LGs2RftcUdODdC-YHagAgg>
*biosandfilters*.info/technical/fact-sheet-*biosand*-*filter*
Oct 10, 2011 - The *biosand filter* (BSF) is an adaptation of the
traditional slow sand filter, .... locally; Filters can be constructed at a
central *production* facility, or in the .... training and technical
support services to a diverse *group* of over 400 ...
RE: [BSF-Production] BSF erosion inside filter - Google Groups
<https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwib5PO4kLDQAhVHYiYKHRp8AKcQFggkMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgroups.google.com%2Fforum%2F%3Fnomobile%3Dtrue%23%21msg%2Fbiosandfilters%2F82X1YGN1DBw%2FbzpbIj0BA4sJ&usg=AFQjCNFkMHOgaUBfgl15pxxlqXq0qCbAHw&sig2=ya4-g_rd57XxSC-3B7e0Qg>
https://*group*s.google.com/forum/?nomobile=true#!msg/*biosandfilters*/...
RE: [BSF-*Production*] BSF erosion inside filter. Michael Lipman, Aug 26,
2013 4:40 AM. Posted in *group*: *Biosand Filters* ...
How Biosand Water Filtration Systems Work - The Water Project
<http://thewaterproject.org/biosand_water_filtration>
thewaterproject.org/*biosand*_water_filtration
Biosand Water Filter The concrete *Biosand filter* is an innovative version
of the slow sand filter specifically designed for household use. These
filters are built ...
Innovation in the Production of Bio-sand Water Filters ‹ blueNews
<http://bluenews.blueenergygroup.org/innovation-in-the-production-of-bio-sand-water-filters/>
bluenews.blueenergy*group*.org/innovation-in-the-*production*-of-*bio-sand*
-water-*filters*/
Apr 10, 2014 - By Charlotte Sterling & Alex Ross - In the city of
Bluefields, 92% of the population has no access to potable water.
Groundwater is frequently ...
Biosand Filter - Instructables
<http://www.instructables.com/id/Biosand-Filter/>
www.instructables.com/id/*Biosand*-*Filter*/
Apr 20, 2012 - A *biosand filter* is a simple type of water purification
system that uses sand, ... a Wood Mold for the *production* of
concrete *BioSand
Filters*.
Step by Step Demo for Concrete BioSand Filter Production - YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq3QR9RK-GE>
[image: Inline image 1]▶ 1:50 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq3QR9RK-GE>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq3QR9RK-GE
Sep 17, 2015 - Uploaded by OHorizons
This short video will show you how the OHorizons' Wood Mold can be
constructed and used to make concrete ...
Slow Sand Filtration | The Safe Water System | CDC
<http://www.cdc.gov/safewater/sand-filtration.html>
www.cdc.gov/safewater/sand-filtration.html
May 2, 2014 - the *BioSand Filter* terminology is trademarked to one
particular design, and ... *Production* of sufficient quantities of water
for all household uses; Local ... to their filter ownership, attend *group*
trainings on filter use and hygiene, ...
Biosandfilter.org - How to start a Filter project
<http://www.biosandfilter.org/biosandfilter/index.php/item/273>
The Kenya commercial-based model of *biosand filter production* has been
replicated ... Preferably, the people *group* targeted with the technology
should have a ...
Biosand Filters - Safe Water International
<http://www.safewaterintl.org/clearinghouse/filtration/biosand/biosand-filters.html>
www.safewaterintl.org/clearinghouse/filtration/*biosand*/*biosand*-*filters*
.html
*Biosand filters* are a small, household sized adaptation of slow sand
filters such that they can be run intermittently. ... Biological Sand
Filters: Low-Cost Bioremediation Technique for *Production* of Clean ...
Life and Water Development *Group*
HYDRAID® Biosand Water Filter - Wishing Well International Foundation
<http://wishingwellintl.org/hydraaid/>
wishingwellintl.org/hydraaid/
HYDRAID® *Biosand* Water *Filter* – Proven Technology to Address the Global
... of these *filters* are made of concrete, which is prone to breakage and
*production* ... social enterprise between Cascade Engineering and The
Windquest *Group*, ..

> (even
> better if you can grow your own bamboo and make your own charcoal
> on-site!),

How do you make biochar or charcoal without asphyxiating yourself or
triggering endless asthma attacks
or passing out from carbon monoxide poising? Smoke exposure is a very
serious issue.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lfljvenaura@gmail.com