permaculture - [permaculture] index - Permaculture | Reddit sub | Permaculture Wiki | Permaculture Self Study PDC

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] index - Permaculture | Reddit sub | Permaculture Wiki | Permaculture Self Study PDC
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 18:16:13 -0400

index - Permaculture | Reddit sub | Permaculture Wiki
Permaculture Self Study PDC
index - Permaculture
https://www.reddit.com/r/Permaculture/wiki/index

Permaculture. (Permanent Culture). An ecological design system developed in
Australia by David Holmgren and Bill Mollison.

The Principles <https://www.reddit.com/r/Permaculture/wiki/principles>

TWELVE DESIGN PRINCIPLES

Twelve Permaculture design principles articulated by David Holmgren in his
Permaculture: Principles and Pathways Beyond Sustainability:

*Observe and interact:* By taking time to engage with nature we can design
solutions that suit our particular situation.

*Catch and store energy:* By developing systems that collect resources at
peak abundance, we can use them in times of need.

*Obtain a yield:* Ensure that you are getting truly useful rewards as part
of the work that you are doing.

*Apply self-regulation and accept feedback:* We need to discourage
inappropriate activity to ensure that systems can continue to function well.

*Use and value renewable resources and services:* Make the best use of
nature's abundance to reduce our consumptive behavior and dependence on
non-renewable resources.

*Produce no waste:* By valuing and making use of all the resources that are
available to us, nothing goes to waste.

*Design from patterns to details:* By stepping back, we can observe
patterns in nature and society. These can form the backbone of our designs,
with the details filled in as we go.

*Integrate rather than segregate:* By putting the right things in the right
place, relationships develop between those things and they work together to
support each other.

*Use small and slow solutions:* Small and slow systems are easier to
maintain than big ones, making better use of local resources and producing
more sustainable outcomes.

*Use and value diversity:* Diversity reduces vulnerability to a variety of
threats and takes advantage of the unique nature of the environment in
which it resides.

*Use edges and value the marginal:* The interface between things is where
the most interesting events take place. These are often the most valuable,
diverse and productive elements in the system.

*Creatively use and respond to change:* We can have a positive impact on
inevitable change by carefully observing, and then intervening at the right
times
------------------------------
*revision by Erinaceous <https://www.reddit.com/user/Erinaceous>— 5 months
ago*

People <https://www.reddit.com/r/Permaculture/wiki/people>

*Self Study PDC*

work in progress

Introduction <https://www.reddit.com/r/Permaculture/wiki/introduction>

Concepts in Design <https://www.reddit.com/r/Permaculture/wiki/concepts>

Methods of Design <https://www.reddit.com/r/Permaculture/wiki/designmethods>

Pattern Understanding <https://www.reddit.com/r/Permaculture/wiki/patterns>

Climatic Factors <https://www.reddit.com/r/Permaculture/wiki/climate>

The Living Soil <https://www.reddit.com/r/Permaculture/wiki/soil>

Trees & Their Energy Transactions
<https://www.reddit.com/r/Permaculture/wiki/trees>

Water in the Landscape <https://www.reddit.com/r/Permaculture/wiki/water>

Earth Working & Earth Resources
<https://www.reddit.com/r/Permaculture/wiki/earthworks>

Dryland Strategies

The Humid Tropics

Cold Temperate Climates
<https://www.reddit.com/r/Permaculture/wiki/create/temperate>

Aquaculture <https://www.reddit.com/r/Permaculture/wiki/create/aquaculture>

Social Permaculture <https://www.reddit.com/r/Permaculture/wiki/social>

*Plant Resources*

Plants for A Future (PFAF) <http://www.pfaf.org/user/Default.aspx>

Midwest Permaculture's Plant Guilds Ebook
<https://midwestpermaculture.com/eBook/Plant%20Guilds%20eBooklet%20-%20Midwest%20Permaculture.pdf>

Practical Plants Wiki <http://practicalplants.org/wiki/Practical_Plants>

Polycultures and Companion Planting wiki page
<https://www.reddit.com/r/Permaculture/wiki/polyculture>

*Appropriate Technology*

Appropedia <http://www.appropedia.org/Welcome_to_Appropedia>

Wiki based appropriate technology guides.

Low Tech Magazine <http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/>

Excellent web based journal of low and appropriate tech solutions.

*Mapping*

QGIS <http://www.qgis.org/en/site/> Free open source GIS application

QGIS Tutorials
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7HotvlLKHCs9nD1fFUjSOsZrsnctyV2R>

*Indepth Resources*

Elaine Ingham. Soil Food Web Seminar
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5Lbag-4Dew&list=PLEF3AC2CFE07692A4>

Quiva Collalition. These folks are the cutting edge of working with water.
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8woSWEa0GKFXgPFlG-YDkQ>

*Ebook and Document Repositories*

United Diversity <http://library.uniteddiversity.coop/>

Jubilee 101 <http://jubilee101.com/>

*Social Resources*

Fellowship of Intentional Communities <http://www.ic.org/>

Directory of intentional communities and resources for setting them up.

*Science and Peer Reviewed Work*

We frequently see requests for peer reviewed sources for Permaculture and
more empirically based references. The best way to find these kinds of
sources is to look in the related and sometimes overlapping fields of
agroforestry and agroecology. Here are some starting points.

Trees for the Future
<http://www.treesforthefuture.org/help-us-change-the-world-one-tree-at-a-time/?gclid=CLzOtNzdnsYCFQuFaQodx4AAqA>

Agroforestry Canada
<http://www.agr.gc.ca/eng/science-and-innovation/agricultural-practices/agroforestry/?id=1177431400694>

Agroforestry.net <http://www.agroforestry.net/>

USDA agroforestry resources <http://nac.unl.edu/index.htm>

FAO Agroecology Summit <http://www.fao.org/about/meetings/afns/en/>

*Extension Services and Institutes*

Cornell Cooperative Extention
<http://www.cce.cornell.edu/Pages/Default.aspx>

The Land Institute <http://www.landinstitute.org/>

The Rodale Institute <http://rodaleinstitute.org/>

Savannah Institute <http://www.savannainstitute.org/>

  • [permaculture] index - Permaculture | Reddit sub | Permaculture Wiki | Permaculture Self Study PDC, Lawrence London, 10/19/2016