permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] The business of landscapes, eco agriculture, sustainable agriculture, sustainable development (links to websites)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] The business of landscapes, eco agriculture, sustainable agriculture, sustainable development (links to websites)
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 00:40:23 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 12:37 AM
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] The business of landscapes, eco agriculture,
sustainable agriculture, sustainable development (links to websites)
To: sanet-mg@googlegroups.com

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 12:03 AM, Kris Johnson RR <cjohnson143@woh.rr.com>
wrote:

> There's a lot going on and the big guys are getting interested.
> The Sustainable Food Lab seems to be a tool of big American corporations,
> looking at the list of Members & Partners.
>
> Likewise foreign corporations:
> "In *2002* *Nestlé*, *Unilever* and *Danone* created the *Sustainable
> Agriculture Initiative (SAI) Platform*, a *non-profit organization* to
> facilitate sharing, at precompetitive level, of knowledge and best
> practices to support the development and implementation of sustainable
> agriculture practices involving stakeholders throughout the food value
> chain."
> "Food companies and retailers are the largest purchasers of agricultural
> raw materials. To ensure a constant, increasing and safe supply of
> agricultural raw materials, these must be grown in a sustainable manner."
>

> I hope they don't end up pushing too many farmers off their land, where
> they can feed and house themselves, and into city slums.

Who could or would do that? It would take collaboration between aggressive
corporations and local governments to make that happen.
A related example is described in the documentary "Golf Wars". I won't go
into details so Google it. I sure would like to know what the outcome was
and if the villagers were left alone. Then again if corporations purchased
land that was owned in common by local farming families but without a
conventional deed or national recognition of the legitimacy of that mode of
land ownership (Mexico and developers circumventing the common land status
through slick legal manouvering) could they run off farmers living there or
would they? Perhaps not if they were involved with the EcoAg Partners
program.

> EcoAg Partners may keep them headed in the right direction. Looking at the
> whole landscape is certainly helpful thinking in terms of permaculture.

Including permaculture in their vision is something we would certainly hope
they would do. Do they know about permaculture? Would they reach out and
try to bring it into their sphere of operation, strategy and planning, in
turn offering that as an option to corporations they serve seeking
sustainability in their product sourcing.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lfljvenaura@gmail.com

Lawrence F. London, Jr.