permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Are we involved in this network ?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Are we involved in this network ?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 00:35:12 -0400

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 11:10 PM, Steve Hart <stevenlawrencehart@gmail.com>
wrote:

> *However.*.my skepticism has reservations because..why is there no
> Permaculture body already on their list. Having spent a lot of time with
> Teddy Goldsmith I learnt from him how dangerous groups like this
> potentially are. In saying that its better working from the inside rather
> than throwing bricks from the outside. so who would like to jump in the
> deep end ?....Steve Hart

There was this statement "what's in it for business"

Blog: The Business of Landscapes
<http://www.sustainablefoodlab.org/the-business-of-landscapes/>, By Duncan
Pollard, Nestle. Posted by Sustainable Food Lab.

NESTLE
you know who they are
in Phillipines coffee farmers who grow quality high mountain beans have to
compete with all the pthers who sell to Nestle. Jeez, do they turn all
those beans into instant. Good grief. I found this out reading an obscure
page for a person from Hong Kong who went to live in the phillipines and
practice permaculture and build a demo site while building his home.
Somewhere in theree was an obscure link to a site about real coffee growers
in the mountainous region.

I will have to spend some time just getting a handle on what they mean by
"landscape". Most of what they write is standard sustainable agriculture
mission and purpose.

The Business of Landscapes
By Duncan Pollard (the Nestle guy)
http://www.sustainablefoodlab.org/the-business-of-landscapes/

Are landscape approaches the next big thing or a passing fad? The World
Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) , The Sustainable
Trade Initiative (IDH), International Union for Conservation of Nature
(IUCN), and EcoAgriculture Partners are all part of landscape initiatives
sprouting up to promote, learn and encourage companies to get involved. But
what’s in it for business?
Actually, many companies are already involved in landscape approaches, they
may just not know it, or call it that. Water stewardship, jurisdictional
approaches, and many large-scale projects involving multiple stakeholders
are all landscape approaches

- well, that's pretty straightforward and in sync with basic permaculture
principles.
Why do they not mention permaculture in their writings or have people in
their organizations empowered to integrate permaculture into their
proposals, research and outreach?

Look at who populates their organizations. Mainstream degreed professionals
moving their employee's agendas forward.

They need to become aware of the need to incorporate permaculture into
their work on an ongoing basis.
Where do they find out what permaculture is aand why they should take it
seriously?
What message is necessary to convince them that permaculture is good for
business?
Who do they go to find and adopt the permaculture resources necessary to
make it work for them.
- there are probably many permaculture professionals around these days whom
they could contact - maybe it would be a good idea for those in that
community to build a professional presentation of their work history,
skills and accreditation and reach out to this corporate group seeking to
incorporate sustainable landscapes int their activities. They could easily
replace sustainable landscapes with permaculture. Do you not agree, Steve?
They do need reasons to see it that way, they you and I see it. Thanks for
posting this interesting link.Their articles deserve to be read and reread.
I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

More after I read your feeedback.

LL

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.