permaculture - Re: [permaculture] 'invisible structures'

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Hart <stevenlawrencehart@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] 'invisible structures'
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 16:04:19 +1200

Thanks Nancy..this is the whole key to Invisible Structures. After 37 years
of Permaculture evolution I see no models anywhere and no PDC developing
any aspect of it or even developing it in the teaching...all in the tooo
hard basket

Steve Hart

On 3 August 2016 at 17:52, Nancy Elizabeth <nesutton@yahoo.com> wrote:

> (Love Scott's direction, btw, ) Posted far outside the main p.c.
> channels....
> https://www.reddit.com/r/Permaculture/comments/4t8dps/
> end_of_nations_is_there_an_alternative_to/d5fxrgw?st=ireh5ndo&sh=aecf75ef
>
> If you are interested in this stuff you might want to track down Bill
> Mollison's 1983 PDC. He breaks down a whole system of using the existing
> institutions of the nation state such as trust law to form non profit
> public interest trusts (the same legal form as churches and universities)
> that own profit seeking companies. The trust owns all of the land and
> capital equipment collectively and lends or leases it out to profit seeking
> companies owned by the trust. The profit seeking companies then donate all
> of their taxable profits to the trust and the trust pays what is
> effectively a minimum basic income to all of the beneficiaries of the trust
> (who are also the people in the companies and operating the land trust).
> Because all of the land, housing and capital can be provided by the trust
> holdings the basic income stipends can be below taxable rates but still
> provide a living wage. It's pretty much what Joel Salatin describes in this
> talk but with a more communitarian focus and a few sneakier institutional
> strategies. Effectively it means that a small group can get together,
> provide a livings for each other, pay no or almost no tax and be very
> legally defensible if state or corporate interests try to come after them
> (as they did with the original permaculture institute which was modelled
> this way).This land based form can then be networked into regional coops.
> Mollison largely models this on mondragon which the exception that there is
> a care of the earth, care of people etc charter in the coops (so they don't
> end up making consumer goods like standard washing machines). These coops
> can then be knitted into bioregional groups where the waste products of one
> coop become the inputs for another not unlike the Plant in Chicago. At this
> scale the groups would be large and coordinated enough to run local
> political candidates or have considerable sway in local politics which
> could remove regulatory barriers to regenerative and ecological
> activities.The whole thing is very interesting, especially since it's a
> roadmap that used existing institutions and legal forms which largely serve
> corporate interests but turns them to the service of regenerative social
> ecological systems. Rather than sitting on our thumbs waiting for nations
> to collapse it gives us an effective means of using the existing nation
> states to become incubators for permaculture federations which would have
> some measure of independence from centralized means of control. Even better
> than that it allows for a prefigurative politics and staging a social
> prototype in a context of use which allows us to identify 'misfits' and
> [...]

Kia ora Ehoa

[image: Picture]
*Steve Hart*
*Ecology Architect*
*Designer, Teacher, Builder of Ecologically Sustainable Resilient
Environments, through Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture
and Systems Ecology.​*
Skype: tipenemanawa
Phone: +64 220 75 62 11

Permaculture Global Design: