permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Need ID for insect pollinator - maybe a wasp

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Need ID for insect pollinator - maybe a wasp
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 16:38:26 -0400

Someone ID'd it for me:

BugGuide
http://bugguide.net/node/view/4336
Double-banded Scoliid
Classification
Kingdom Animalia (Animals)
Phylum Arthropoda (Arthropods)
Subphylum Hexapoda (Hexapods)
Class Insecta (Insects)
Order Hymenoptera (Ants, Bees, Wasps and Sawflies)
No Taxon (Aculeata - Ants, Bees and Stinging Wasps)
Superfamily Scolioidea
Family Scoliidae (Scoliid Wasps)
Subfamily Scoliinae
Genus *Scolia*
Species *bicincta* (Double-banded Scoliid)

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 4:31 PM, Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Year to year I have these wasp-like pollinators, usually foraging on my
> peppermint blooms.
> It has shiny irridescent dark purple wings that lay flat on its body and
> completely cover it.
> I havent googled it yet but I doubt it is a beefly, which I have not seen
> for years (at least not the large common one
> that can hover motionless in the air in one spot and instantly fly away at
> great speed, sometimes zigzagging).
> Is there widespread demise of beeflies from herbicide and insecticide use.
> Bees seem to dominate the news in
> that context but how many other species of insects are going extinct from
> irresponsible and uncecessary use of chemicals
> and environmental pollution ingeneral.
> Can anyone identify it?
>

> --
> Lawrence F. London