permaculture - [permaculture] Hans Herren on Monsanto Tribunal

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: joao pedro goncalves <joaovox@gmail.com>
  • To: cultivando <cultivando@googlegroups.com>, ecolivingportugal <ecolivingportugal@googlegroups.com>, meio-ambiente-e-permacultura-acampada <meio-ambiente-e-permacultura-acampada@googlegroups.com>, transicao-portugal <transicao-portugal@googlegroups.com>, pdc-meco-2012 <pdc-meco-2012@googlegroups.com>, pt-diploma <pt-diploma@googlegroups.com>, pdcesporles2011 <pdcesporles2011@googlegroups.com>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Hans Herren on Monsanto Tribunal
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 00:23:36 +0100

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ambra Sedlmayr
Date: Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 7:29 AM
Subject: Fwd: Hans Herren on Monsanto Tribunal

Car@s,

aqui um e-mail a apresentar o
"Monsanto tribunal" www.monsanto-tribunal.org
uma iniciativa corajosa de chamar a Monsanto à sua responsabilidade e nao a
deixar mais impune.
Assinem, doem e divulguem.

Obrigada,
Ambra

-

Dear Dr. Cristoph Simpfendörfer and dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to inform you about the Monsanto Tribunal, of which I am
one of the founding members. As you may be aware of I was also the
Co-Chair of the In International Assessment of Agricultural Knowledge,
Science and Technology (IAASTD), a UN commissioned report which called
for a transformation, a paradigm change, in agriculture and the food system.

The Monsanto Tribunal was set up as a people’s tribunal, to call the
most vile and hated company in the world to account for its crimes
against humanity and ecocide. The full details of the Tribunal, its
founding members and progress so far can be read from the
www.monsanto-tribunal.org <http://www.monsanto-tribunal.org>, so I wont
make this message longer than need be.

I would like to invite Demeter International as well as all national
affiliates relevant, to join this effort, as we need to put an end to
the continued flaunting of the laws and the call for more industrial
agriculture to feed the wold, when what we need is to have people in
different countries and region NOURISH themselves well, healthy and with
respect to the environment and future generations. We need, as you do
also say in your literature, a paradigm change. This change cannot be
delayed much longer, as we have reached the tipping points already in
the climate change, pollution of water, land and people way beyond the
acceptable.

Demeter has been at the forefronts of the paradigm change in a
pioneering role, but its efforts have also been slowed by the immense
effort by the agrochemical companies, Monsanto in particular, therefore
we are taking them to court. Monsanto has not spared any effort to
denigrate the value of Biodynamic agriculture and the nutritional value
of the products that come from this production method, never mind all
the other benefits to nature as well as the economy, and in particular
its capacity to offer an alternative to the agro-industry to nourished
the world today and tomorrow.

I would be extremely pleased if Demeter would also support the Monsanto
Tribunal, both by disseminating the information relating to the
Tribunal, as well as via financial support. We clearly need to reach out
much more, and Demeter could do so via its many members across the
world, all deeply committed to the paradigm change, but hard as long as
we have an elephant blocking the way to make the paradigm change awe
have all been hoping for. There is some urgency for the change ahead, we
now have the Sustainable Development Goal;s (SDGs), which if given a
closer look at aa number of goals and targets, could be easily achieved
by transforming agriculture to sustainable solutions as they have since
long been promoter by Demeter already. I feel that the Monsanto Tribunal
may just be what’s needed to create the environment for change via a
broad public campaign. We need to debunk the steady flow of lies
regarding the treat of hunger if we do not go the Monsanto et al way. We
have all the evidence to the contrary and this evidence is what we want
to also to present in the Hague, this coming October 16, and in the two
days preceding the actual tribunal, in a series of workshop, to which
upon are certainly very keenly invited to.

I am copying my colleagues Rene Lehnherr and Arnaud Apoteker from the
Monsanto Tribunal. They will follow-up on this letter and also any
queries that you and your affiliates may have.

Many thanks in advancer for considering joining forces with us on this
crucial matter.

With kind regards, Hans

Dr. Hans R. Herren
President and CEO Millennium Institute
1875 I St NW, suite 549
Washington, DC 20006

cell + 1 530 867 4569

hh@millennium-institute.org
hansrherren@icloud.com
www.millennium-institute.org <http://www.millennium-institute.org>
www.isdgs.org <http://www.isdgs.org>

Member, International Panel of Experts on Sustainable Food Systems
(www.ipes-food.org <http://www.ipes-food.org>)

President and Founder Biovision Foundation for Ecological Development
www.biovision.ch <http://www.biovision.ch>

Laureate: Right Livelihood Award (Alternative Nobel Prize 2013; One
World Award 2010; World Food Prize 1995; Kilby Award 1995;
Brandenberger Prize 2002; Tyler Prize 2003.
Foreign Associate of the US Academy of Sciences 1999; Member the Academy
of Sciences for the Developing World (TWAS) 2005
co-Chair International Assessment of Agricultural Science and
Technology for Development (http://www.agassessment.org)
Member CGIAR Science Council (2005-2010)

--
João Gonçalves

"Ao comprar ou consumir de forma ética também está a intervir na paisagem e
a decidir quem tem trabalho."

"Eating is an agricultural act" - "Comer é um acto agrícola" - Wendell
Berry

"Permacultura (Cultura Permanente) é um sistema ético de design ecológico."

(+351) 96 96 80 009
Chão Sobral - Oliveira do Hospital - Serra do Açor - Portugal
http://ecotrabalho.com/
http://permacultureglobal.com/users/902-joao-goncalves
http://chaosobral.org/index_pt.htm
http://www.youtube.com/joaovox
http://agricultura-familiar-tradicional.blogspot.pt
https://picasaweb.google.com/joaovox
http://picasaweb.google.pt/uniprochaosobral

Para descobrir:
Documentário "Alface" na Aldeia das Amoreiras
http://vimeo.com/58999047
Permacultura na Serra do Açor - Portugal
http://permaculturinginportugal.net/blog/
"Comida que nunca acaba" / Permacultura no Malawi
http://www.neverendingfood.org/
Centro de Ecologia Integral
http://www.integralecology.org
Nyumbani - Kenya
http://www.nyumbani.org/about-us

  • [permaculture] Hans Herren on Monsanto Tribunal, joao pedro goncalves, 07/08/2016