permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Christopher Alexander’s Neglected Challenge to Permaculture – Making Permaculture Stronger | Posted on May 8, 2016 by Dan Palmer

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Georg Parlow <g.parlow@gmx.at>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Christopher Alexander’s Neglected Challenge to Permaculture – Making Permaculture Stronger | Posted on May 8, 2016 by Dan Palmer
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 16:31:59 +0200

This has apparently been written by someone who has never done a pc system
design process. The way I myself and all pc designers that I have observed in
their design processes go about it exactly as Alexander describes it: we
start out with vague shapes (he calles them 'clouds'), sectors, approximate
zone boundaries, etc - refine the patterns etc more and more - and to
actually choose specific elements (this tree or that one, a fence here etc)
are steps right at the end of the process. It is simply wrong to think of pc
design as 'assembling parts into a whole', even if this might be written as
Mollison’s definition of the abstract term 'design'. What he did and taught
was different.

Georg