permaculture - [permaculture] Why Do You Comment Online? | FiveThirtyEight

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Why Do You Comment Online? | FiveThirtyEight
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 12:03:37 -0400

Why Do You Comment Online? | FiveThirtyEight
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-do-you-comment-online/

"Last month I wrote an article
<http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/even-psychologists-respond-to-meaningless-rewards/>
about how giving scientists a few merit badges could encourage them to be
more transparent about their work. Given the ongoing discussion
<http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/failure-is-moving-science-forward/>
about scientific methods
<http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/science-isnt-broken/>, I expected the
story to draw reader comments about the badges, how to make science more
reliable, and issues like that."

<.....>

"The experience got me wondering: What compels people to comment publicly
online or contact an author in the first place? Only a small subset of
readers ever comment or write to me. What makes people take that step?"

<....>

"As a science writer, I’m lucky enough to get paid to answer questions like
these. So I’m on a hunt to learn more about the psychology of what drives
people to comment (or not)."

  • [permaculture] Why Do You Comment Online? | FiveThirtyEight, Lawrence London, 06/25/2016