permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Profile: Douglas Tompkins, billionaire-turned-conservationist - BBC News

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, sanet-mg@googlegroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Profile: Douglas Tompkins, billionaire-turned-conservationist - BBC News
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 22:17:16 -0500

Founder of The North Face and Esprit brands, Douglas Tompkins, dies in
Patagonia
"After learning of Tompkins' death, former Chilean interior minister
Belisario Velasco said "He illicitly pressured landholders to abandon the
land where their parents and grandparents had lived and died, and bought it
up at despicable prices.""

Maybe his heirs will return some of the land he purchased unethically to
Chilean farmers, ranchers, homesteaders and villagers
making sure that peasant farmers get first choice on the best farmland.

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com