permaculture - Re: [permaculture] 101 PERMACULTURE DESIGNS, downloadable imgur album - Album on Imgur

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] 101 PERMACULTURE DESIGNS, downloadable imgur album - Album on Imgur
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 03:45:54 -0400

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 9:34 PM, Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have one here but after I am gone it may wind up in a dumpster so I am
> hellbent trying to find a new location for it. I really have a lot of
> books, hardbound and softbound, pamphlets and useful notes, scanned copies
> of articles and ephemera. Public libraries have things they call library
> sales....nuff said about that. Most nonprofits but not all have their own
> agenda that takes priority and I doubt they would allow public or special
> access to any housed materials. Ideally an endowed repository would serve
> our needs best over the long haul, one that might have trusted people
> stewarding the collections and ensuring the library's continued existence.
> Some nonprofit permaculture organizations might be willing to secure grant
> funding to get the library started and keep it going or even house it on
> premises for perpetuity. Of the many ways this library could serve the
> permaculture community's needs there are several prominent ones that come
> to mind: 1) lending, mail order or walk in, 2) donations of duplicate
> publications to worthy causes, domestic ones and any abroad, like projects
> in Central and South America, Africa and Eastern Europe, Spain, Portugal
> and Russia and 3) acquisitions, soliciting donations of used, new and rare
> materials 4) obtain scanning, OCR, computing equipment to digitize the most
> important and fragile works in the library, maybe even a donated microfiche
> machine, 4) establish a rare books collection 5) solicit volunteer help to
> address all the ongoing tasks and projects the library will create. Money
> will need to be raised to pay for shipping of large quantities of materials
> to the library. There will be security issues associated with public walk
> in visits to the facility. Of course we could all send our books to Darren
> and friends in Australia. The Soil and Health Library was established there
> and continues to exist online. They have heavy duty scanning and digitizing
> equipment. I hope we can keep this discussion going.

This is worth reading in this day and time; building special information
collections on social media and open access to and sharing of included
media (i.e. Creative Commons).

how to destroy special collections with social media
Wynken de Worde
http://sarahwerner.net/blog/2015/07/how-to-destroy-special-collections-with-social-media/

--
Lawrence F. London