permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Is This Aquaponics Then? ||| *.ponics subreddits

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Is This Aquaponics Then? ||| *.ponics subreddits
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 22:21:37 -0400

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 10:27 AM, Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
wrote:

> In aquaponics, fish poop out bacteria-rich living manure, which flows into
> a gravel bed where the same biological processes found in soil convert the
> manure to nitrates and other fertilizers, just as the biology in soil
> converts animal manure and plant matter to fertility. The plants are grown
> in a living biological matrix just as they are in soil. There is a living
> rhizosphere.

There are excellent discussion forums/subreddits at Reddit for aquaponics,
anthroponics, hydroponoics, aquaculture and aeroponics:

aquaponics
http://www.reddit.com/r/aquaponics

The symbiotic cultivation of plants and aquatic animals in a recirculating
environment.

Below are some relevant links and subreddits - consider them as well when
you are posting or looking for additional information.

*Useful Information*

-

Acronyms

<http://aquaponicsnation.com/articles.html/_/articles/frequently-asked-questions/aquaponics-acronyms-r15>
-

FAO Fisheries Small Scale Aquaponics Report
<http://www.fao.org/3/a-i4021e/index.html>

*AMAs*

-

Sylvia Bernstein

<http://www.reddit.com/r/aquaponics/comments/24alce/sylvia_bernstein_author_of_aquaponic_gardening/>
-

Cold Weather AP

<http://www.reddit.com/r/aquaponics/comments/2equrj/iama_cold_climate_aquaponics_system_designer_and/>
-

Fresh Farm AP

<http://www.reddit.com/r/aquaponics/comments/34npl9/fresh_farm_aquaponics_ask_me_anything/>

*Sister Subs*

- r/seedstock <http://www.reddit.com/r/seedstock>
- r/aquariums <http://www.reddit.com/r/aquariums>
- r/gardening <http://www.reddit.com/r/gardening>
- r/plantedtank <http://www.reddit.com/r/plantedtank>
- r/Hydro <http://www.reddit.com/r/Hydro>
- r/domes <http://www.reddit.com/r/domes>
- r/greenhouses <http://www.reddit.com/r/greenhouses>
- r/shrimptank <http://www.reddit.com/r/shrimptank>
- r/crayfish <http://www.reddit.com/r/crayfish>
- /r/Aquaculture <http://www.reddit.com/r/Aquaculture>
- /r/anthroponics <http://www.reddit.com/r/anthroponics>

anthroponics
http://www.reddit.com/r/anthroponics

Alternative gardening/farming methods using human waste and recirculating
water in a soilless environment.

Common terms include "peeponics", "urineponics", "pooponics", "hummonia" or
even "bioponics".

*Useful Resources*

- What is Anthroponics?

<http://www.reddit.com/r/Anthroponics/comments/29tjx9/what_is_anthroponics/>
- Anthroponics Website <http://anthroponics.com>
- Composition of human urine
<http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19710023044.pdf>
- Paper on urine as fertilizer
<http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/jf0717891>
- Earliest webforum post exploring Peeponics
<http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2534>
- Black Soldier Fly (BSF) growth rate with human feces
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/tmi.12228/pdf>
- Using feces-fed BSF in an aquaponics system

<http://www.reddit.com/r/Anthroponics/comments/29xt3o/black_soldier_flies/cipqxct>
- Compilation of Aquaponic and Anthroponic resources, papers and theses

<http://www.mediafire.com/download/vt1eioaubhp9maa/Sources,_Other_Theses_&_Resources.rar>

*Relevant subreddits:*

- Hydroponics <http://www.reddit.com/r/hydro>
- Aquaponics <http://www.reddit.com/r/aquaponics>
- Aeroponics <http://www.reddit.com/r/aeroponics>

hydroponics
http://www.reddit.com/r/hydroponics
Hydroponics is a method of growing plants using mineral nutrient solutions,
in water, without soil. Terrestrial plants may be grown with their roots in
the mineral nutrient solution only or in an inert medium, such as perlite,
gravel, mineral wool, or coconut husk.

Aquaculture
http://www.reddit.com/r/Aquaculture

A digest of news, articles, and comments from the global aquaculture
community.
------------------------------

More about Aquaculture:

-

World Aquaculture Society <https://www.was.org/>
-

NOAA--National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, office of
Aquaculture <http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/aquaculture/>

------------------------------

*Big news: "Scientists Create World's First Fish‑Free Prawn Food"
<http://www.news.net/article/1181989/csiro-scientists-create-worlds-first-fish-free-prawn-food>*

"...There is intense global interest in Novaq because it solves one of the
farmed prawn industry's biggest problems - its reliance on wild fisheries
as a core ingredient in prawn food.

But aquaculture has reached "peak fish", where demand for wild harvested
fish meal now outstrips supply. Without a solution, soaring world demand
cannot be met.

"It is absolutely a critical issue for the global aquaculture industry.
There's no more room to get more wild harvest fish, so we've got to find
alternatives," Dr Preston said.

"A justifiable criticism about aquaculture is the continuation of catching
wild fish, grinding them up and feeding to farm fish."

News of Novaq's development has caused huge excitement around the world, as
many thought a fish-free food was impossible..."
------------------------------

Also Check out /r/:

- Aquaponics <http://www.reddit.com/r/aquaponics>
- Aquarium <http://www.reddit.com/r/aquarium>
- Aquariums <http://www.reddit.com/r/Aquariums>
- Algaculture <http://www.reddit.com/r/Algaculture/>
- Mariculture <http://www.reddit.com/r/Mariculture>
- Seasteading <http://www.reddit.com/r/seasteading>
- Blue Revolution <http://www.reddit.com/r/bluerevolution>

aeroponics
http://www.reddit.com/r/aeroponics

This subreddit is for people who want to learn and exchange information
about aeroponics. This may include information about:

- plant productivity
- complete systems
- nutrient solutions
- plumbing systems
- lighting systems
- anything else that could have something to do with growing plants in
the air!

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com

  • Re: [permaculture] Is This Aquaponics Then? ||| *.ponics subreddits, Lawrence London, 06/10/2015