permaculture - Re: [permaculture] A Victory in Gatewood Neighborhood Okie City

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ren.Reeder@cem.com
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] A Victory in Gatewood Neighborhood Okie City
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 16:38:09 -0400

Great News Mr Bob!! Love it when the good guys win!

Thank you,

Ren Reeder

From: Bob Waldrop <bob@bobwaldrop.net>
To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>,
Date: 06/09/2015 04:22 PM
Subject: [permaculture] A Victory in Gatewood Neighborhood Okie
City
Sent by: "permaculture" <permaculture-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org>

VICTORY! I went for the appeal hearing today at 2 PM with my attorney
James Matthew Branum​. And it was a very friendly experience. The 18
inch claim turned out to be two feet and applied only to the area within
25 feet of the corner and 20 feet of the driveway. Since all my plants
were within that height range in that area, and since they were
satisfied after looking at my list that I didn't have any weeds or tall
grasses -- to show good faith I pulled the ornamental grasses since they
(a) were tall, and (b) were grasses, although I don't know what that
implies for the gorgeous stands of pampas GRASS that are found elsewhere
in the neighborhood which like my ornamental grasses are (a) grass and
(b) tall, lol . . . )

The hearing officer did say that I could apply for a permit for
landscaping in the easement area, although he allowed as how he didn't
think that anyone had ever actually applied for a permit for that
purpose. My attorney's advice was "that's a last resort" if I continue
to get hassled. I think our position is that absent a compelling state
interest I can plant what I want outside of the driveway and corner
sight triangles. It was about 20 minutes worth of hearing, before a
hearing officer, someone from the city attorney's office, and the code
officer.

Thanks to everyone for your support and the emails of encouragement and
evidence that we submitted as part of our appeal. Sometimes it does pay
to fight City Hall!

Bob Waldrop, practicing permaculture until I get good at it in the
Gatewood Neighborhood of Okie City

Read more about my adventures and ideas about urban permaculture in my
399K word ebook, iPermie! Only $1.99 at http://www.ipermie.net or at all
the ebook superstores online (Kindle, Apple, Kobo, B&N etc.)
message archive mirrors:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/permaculturelist
http://permacultureforum.blogspot.com
http://permaculturelist.wordpress.com
Google message archive search:
http://www.ipermie.net
Avant Geared https://sites.google.com/site/avantgeared/
https://plus.google.com/+Avantgeared
Permaculture: -- portal to an expanding global network of landtech
pioneers practicing and teaching permaculture
while designing ecological, biointensive land use systems with integrated
elements for synergy, sustainability, regeneration and enhanced
nature-compatible
human habitat --

***This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended
you have received this email in error please notify the system manager.
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of CEM
Corporation. Finally, (although CEM takes all possible precautions) the
viruses. CEM Corporation accepts no liability for any damage caused by any
virus transmitted by this email. Please report any email abuse to
abuse@cem.com***