permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Measuring Carbon ?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Measuring Carbon ?
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 18:17:06 -0400

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 6:01 PM, Steve Hart <stevenlawrencehart@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Who is the expert on this ? is there a manual ? Then how do we measure
> carbon in pasture ?..ditto ?

When you till or turn pasture soil, carbon dioxide is released. I think
exposure of visible organic matter in soil after tillage causes the OM to
be oxidized (?), otherwise reduced in volume and released into the
atmosphere as C02.

Maybe a quick C test in pasture soil could be done this way, just guessing:

take a soil sample maybe within a depth of one foot below plant roots

immerse it in water and thoroughly mix it so no lumps remain

pour the mix through a fine sieve allowing the black OM to get through

take both dirt and OM components and dry them separately

measure volume of each wet and dry

this will give you a proportion of soil mineral to OM

I expect the C and OM contents may be closely related

<>

then go and buy multiple tandem axle dump truck loads of siltation pond
fines (rock dusts) from local quarries and apply it to the land - this will
increase the C content of your soil dramatically over time by boosting
plant growth sustainably year after year

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com