permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Resources on scythes, sickles, machetes and other hand tools used in traditional agriculture.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Resources on scythes, sickles, machetes and other hand tools used in traditional agriculture.
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 21:15:02 -0500

This is the tool to have: On a scale of 1-10 for useful hand
sickle-machete-parang, this rates a good 7.
The overall large size, weight, blade thickness and length make it superior
to many I have seen pictures of.
I think I will try to make some of these in my shop, probably out of
uniform thickness high speed or high carbon steel plate from circular
sawblades.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ssiCjOXfYnA/TyIWjrw5gZI/AAAAAAAAAzk/d5PZP9BpQsM/w800-h534-no/NepaliMachete-Scythe.jpg

Truly multipurpose: weeding, brush cutting, hay and grain harvesting and of
course for peeling some kind of mystery fruit.

Here's an image probably taken in India or Nepal:

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com