permaculture - [permaculture] Ello, information for those who might be interested in using this, perpetually ad-free and non-userdata-sharing, innovative social media | Public Benefit Corporations

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Ello, information for those who might be interested in using this, perpetually ad-free and non-userdata-sharing, innovative social media | Public Benefit Corporations
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:47:34 -0400

PBC corporate status might be of use to the global permaculture community.
I highly recommend Ello for those needing access to social media plus
Reddit and Twitter for highly controllable and navigable access to a
universe of news and information.
With proper filtering and configuration Reddit is a source of very high
quality information. The Permaculture and newly merged Homesteading are
very good forums. Reddit offers many useful tools
to manage the information you find and want to bookmark for future
reference.

Announced today:

https://ello.co/budnitz
Ello! PBC
A BETTER WAY
October 23, 2014
Hi there.
There has been some speculation in the press since our launch 11 weeks ago
that Ello will someday be forced to allow paid ads on our social network.
With virtually everybody else relying on ads to make money, some members of
the tech elite are finding it hard to imagine there is a better way.
But 2014 is not 2004, and the world has changed.
To assure that Ello always remains ad-free, today Ello converted to a
Public Benefit Corporation (PBC). A Benefit Corporation is a new kind of
for-profit company in the USA that exists to produce a benefit for society
as a whole — not just to make money for its investors.
The Ello PBC charter states in the strongest legal terms possible that:
1) Ello shall never make money from selling ads;
2) Ello shall never make money from selling user data; and
3) In the event that Ello is ever sold, the new owners will have to comply
by these terms.
In other words, Ello exists for your benefit, and will never show ads or
sell user data.
Simple, beautiful, and ad-free.
There is a better way.
We, as founders and investors in Ello, vow to support Ello’s mission and to
abide by the terms of the Ello Charter. [Signed]
Check out the full signed letter.
https://ello.co/downloads/ello-pbc.pdf
Read more about Public Benefit Corporations (and how your company can
become one too).
http://benefitcorp.net/

https://ello.co/cacheflowe
It is with great excitement today that @budnitz has announced that Ello is
now a Public Benefit Corporation. I believe in this, 100%. Head over to his
post to learn more, and check out some news that goes a bit more in-depth:
http://www.wired.com/2014/10/ello_pbc/
http://betabeat.com/2014/10/ello-takes-5-5-in-vc-money-signs-a-legally-binding-charter-to-never-sell-ads-or-data/
Thanks for being here with us.

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com

  • [permaculture] Ello, information for those who might be interested in using this, perpetually ad-free and non-userdata-sharing, innovative social media | Public Benefit Corporations, Lawrence London, 10/23/2014