permaculture - Re: [permaculture] NYT morons at work: Don’t Let Your Children Grow Up to Be Farmers - NYTimes.com

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] NYT morons at work: Don’t Let Your Children Grow Up to Be Farmers - NYTimes.com
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 20:01:38 -0400

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 5:30 PM, <farmer1@gasperfarm.com> wrote:

> LL writes:
> > I guarantee that you can compete with the cheap food system and still
> make
> > a decent living.
>
> I would never make such a guarantee. I am trying and it isn't working very
> well at all. Very few are able to accomplish this; especially new farmers
> who don't inherit their land. Far too many rely on off the farm jobs or
> fraudulent marketing to get by.
>
> > Word of mouth is a very valuable marketing tool. On farm economic
> > diversification would help pay the bills
> > until food production and marketing methods are streamlined.
>
> Word of mouth is valuable but not enough.
>
> I'm not even sure what yo mean by economic diversification. Explain.

This and other options to be discovered through good site design and
business plan:

A landowner could be involved in a multiplicity of cottage enterprises
ranging from ecotourism to crafts to livestock boarding to market
gardening, orcharding and farming, fiber and hay production, herbs,
berries, utilizing on farm sales, on farm shop, pick your own, csa, csa
coop, roadside stand, country restaurant and grocery and more. They sky is
the limit for site design possibilities related to income generation.

> don't see how it won't have the same slow ramp up that building a business
> does. It just sounds like more poorly paying thing to do I don't have time
> for.

Cottage industry involving crafts and production of artisanal goods can be
very profitable.
Marketing opportunities include local sales through markets and stores and
direct sales on site and by mail order through an online store with
shopping cart

I have an online store with shopping cart for my shop-made garden hand
tools business. Other than domain registration costs all of it is free to
me, domain hosting by Google Sites
complete with shopping cart offering Visa Paypal and other CCards. Very
good deal for a small grower and manufacturer.

LL

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com