permaculture - Re: [permaculture] 101 PERMACULTURE DESIGNS, downloadable imgur album - Imgur

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] 101 PERMACULTURE DESIGNS, downloadable imgur album - Imgur
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 17:41:07 -0400

On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 3:20 PM, Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
wrote:

> Since I'm in curmudgeon mode, I wonder how the artists whose work is being
> distributed without their permission on that site feel about it (like
> Elayne Sears, who did all the art for Gaia's Garden that is posted there).
> I know that Mollison (whose artist, Andrew Jeeves, work is there) goes
> ballistic when people copy his art. "Use your own damn drawings from your
> own damn work; I did," he says.

And that is a big no-no. I had a feeling that gallery contained some work
used without permission; at least I brought it to your attention, Toby.

> I know we who care about seeing artists get recognized and respected are
> an anachronism in this "information wants to be free" world, but if we want
> people to keep doing great work, we can't just take it from them.

You would think the OP would have had the moxie to give attribution to
those artists whose work he used without asking permission but I guess not.

> It would be cool if Imgur had a donation basket for Elayne and Andrew and
> a couple of others whose work dominates those images.

They must be aware of this issue by now and you'd think they would post a
stick so all posters would be aware of the need for attribution.

LL

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com