permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Z00

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jason Gerhardt <jasongerhardt@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Z00
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 18:19:06 -0600

I saw this thread on my phone earlier and thought, why is there so much
discussion on ZOO's? Now I get it. I think Toby's point is clear. Z00 is
not a zone. Personal work is obviously important. I don't think anyone is
disagreeing with that, but to call it a zone is counterproductive to the
purpose of zone planning and frankly nonsensical. I've had a problem with
Zone 00 *and* Zone 0 for that reason. So how many zones are there? 5? 6? 7?
If they count to five then there should be five, otherwise we are making
things unnecessarily complicated.

I think we would do a lot better to call personal work and influence as
well as client peculiarities, invisible structures or 'social structures'.
Yes, they are technically like sectors, but less predictable and much less
easy to plan for, and far more time consuming. I do think we ignore these
social details much to our displeasure in the end, so they are incredibly
important to understand.

It's important to be clear and direct with the language we use. When we
aren't clear with that we end up with people calling many different
approaches by the same name (a current difficulty in the permaculture
field), which means terms lose their meaning and power. Glad to see Toby
continuing on with this work. He has one of the best minds for it and
reaches very intelligent places. Toby is like an intellectual oyster,
clearing the water column of sediment and pollution so the estuary of
permaculture can be much more productive and effective. Who wouldn't love
the work of an oyster? Honestly, we need more people to fill this niche.

Jason

--

PO Box 4315
Boulder, CO 80306

  • Re: [permaculture] Z00, Jason Gerhardt, 07/07/2014