permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Honouring the passing of Margrit Kennedy, permaculture pioneer

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <robyn@permaculture.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Honouring the passing of Margrit Kennedy, permaculture pioneer
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 09:48:35 +1100

I don't know if I missed something in the permie networks, but it was a shock
for me to discover in a recent GEN (Global Ecovillage Network) newsletter
that Margrit Kennedy had passed away December 28, 2013.
She was one of the first generation of permaculture pioneers, and an
important mentor and role model for me as a young permaculture teacher and
designer in the 1980s, and was a considerable influence in the formative
years of the permaculture movement.

I first met Margrit and her husband Declan when they were in Australia for
the first ever International Permaculture Convergence in 1984. They had
taken one of Bills early PDCs and set up the Permaculture Institute of
Europe. Margrit, at that time was a powerful voice for women in architecture
and a leading innovator in eco-architecture and urban renewal in Berlin. I
later attended an advanced Urban Pc Design course with Margrit and Declan in
USA, just before IPC2, during which she introduced Michael Linton, inventor
of the LETS system to permaculture and visa versa.

Most of Margrit's work over the past few decades has focussed on changing the
financial system, and she has been a leading voice for complimentary
currencies, including publication of her book Interest and Inflation Free
Money, Creating an Exchange Medium that Works for Everybody and Protects the
Earth (1987) which has been revised several times and translated into 22
languages. download pdf here:
kennedy-bibliothek.info/data/bibo/media/GeldbuchEnglisch.pdf‎

Margrit leaves an important legacy which continues through the many people
she inspired and mentored. Her achievements need to be acknowledged by the
permaculture movement as a significant pioneer in urban design, ecovillage
and invisible structures.

Robyn

http://permaculture.com.au/margrit-kennedy-1939-2013-permaculture-pioneer/