permaculture - [permaculture] Article about home food production decreasing footprint/developed land

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kelda Lorax" <kelda@riseup.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Article about home food production decreasing footprint/developed land
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 11:46:13 -0700

Hi all,

I know it seems obvious but I'm looking for an article that says:

*most home sites, or within neighborhoods, can grow a family's yearly
produce (fruits and veg)

*growing these foods close to home reduces the need for farmers to do it
elsewhere, freeing up their land for broader scale things like grain or
livestock

*thus the overall amount of land needed for humans would be less (smaller
ecological footprint) which leads to many acres of land potentially being
able to return to it's natural ecology/ zone 5 state.

A nearby university professor has asked my partner and I to think if we
can find this kind of article within permaculture resources, so she can
use it in a 'Food Production' course. Ideally the article would be short
and of an academic nature.

I think Patrick Whitefield is the only permaculture author who's
explicitly stated (in Permaculture in a Nutshell) that if we have more
gardens at home we can potentially have more wild land in general. But I'm
having a hard time finding this as a stand-alone article.

Any ideas?
Kelda Lorax
Parkland, WA

  • [permaculture] Article about home food production decreasing footprint/developed land, Kelda Lorax, 03/21/2014