permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fw: Snow that Won't Melt?!?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Alia Tsang <alia@dietrick.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fw: Snow that Won't Melt?!?
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 00:12:35 +0000

A quick search gives some alternate (more believable) explanations:

https://www.metabunk.org/threads/debunked-fake-snow-burning-snow.3026/
(excerpt)
What's happening here is:

A) The snow *is* melting, but the very loose fluffy structure of the
snow *wicks
away* the water, turning dry snow into wet snow, and eventually turning the
snow into *slush*.

B) The snow is blackened when a lighter is held underneath it because of
the *soot from the lighter *(the products of incomplete combustion). It's
*not burning. *
C) The smell is *fumes from the lighter* (also from incomplete combustion)
and/or people briefly *burning nearby objects like gloves*.