permaculture - Re: [permaculture] An interesting video I was sent

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bob Waldrop <bob@bobwaldrop.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] An interesting video I was sent
  • Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 12:25:12 -0500

I doubt that it is a hoax, it seems plausible to me.

But I also think there is less there than the video implies.

At every step of this process --

+ pumping and transporting crude oil,
+ refining it into plastic feedstocks,
+ making plastic,
+ shipping/manufacturing/distributing
+ collecting the trash
+ converting it back into oil

energy is lost. The final liter of oil that comes out of 2.2 kilograms of plastic trash embodies quite a bit more energy in its processing.

So it is a way to extract one final bit of embodied energy and maybe to process large amount of plastic trash that presently contaminates the biosphere.

The video doesn't say anything about any possible residue that might be left over after the conversion. Maybe there isn't any.

The best solution to plastic is to stop making it, and eventually that will happen. We would have to think about this proposal and examine its ramification as a way to rid ourselves of the terrible plague of plastic trash.

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City
http://www.ipermie.net -- How to permaculture your urban lifestyle