permaculture - Re: [permaculture] â-¶ VIORICA TOMOIAGA - Vai saracu Vasalie - YouTube + Traditional Scything!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] â-¶ VIORICA TOMOIAGA - Vai saracu Vasalie - YouTube + Traditional Scything!
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 01:20:37 +0100

Our experience seems to be exactly the same Mitch except maybe that we don't always have the sun. Even with light rain or drizzle we keep more than warm enough though and we usually end up quite dry.
Pity that so many here in Ireland prefer petrol "strimmers" these days for road side work and sit on mowers for anything more. One advantage is that what you cut with a scythe can be easily collected with an hay fork and used to feed goats or rabbits or compost. And a scythe is many times faster than these noisy strimmer machines that maul everything to a pulp.
John

Hey John -

For me it's completely terrain, vegetation and obstacle dependent. 75%+ of
my scythe use is around newly planted seedlings on fairly steep ground with
more woody material, so it's mostly arm work. On the flatter, wide open
spaces with more vegetative material it's mostly torso. In the flat spaces
where I know there are rocks, stumps, etc. it's a combination of the two
techniques as well as having learned (the hard way) where the blade-trashing
rocks, etc. are lurking. I also use two different blades depending on the
task - a shorter, stouter brush blade is more appropriate for the arm work
in the more confined/brushier spaces around the seedlings. A longer, finer
grass blade is more appropriate for the torso work in the wide-open,
grassier/vegetative spaces. My brush blade gets way more quality time than
the grass blade.

An aside - I love using my scythe. For sure, there are those spring rush
days of extreme physical and mental fatigue when I need the ipod to provide
a little extra motivation. But when I'm a little more rested and a little
less harried and the blade is freshly peened and the birds are calling and
the sun starts peeking over the tree line and I really get in the groove...
there's nothing else I do out here that leaves me simultaneously
sweat-drenched and completely calm.

Mitch Triplett
Tri-Pearl Family Forest
Member - CCFFA/OSWA, OTFS, BLA, OWC, and FSC