permaculture - [permaculture] DGR/permaculture response

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: kelda@riseup.net
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] DGR/permaculture response
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 14:40:09 -0700

To those following the DGR/Permaculture thread:
Thanks for the conversation! To be able to answer immediately is beyond
the scope of my time priorities :)

To Lawrence: Thanks for the offer for online support for regional food
network. I think my main work right now is not being online though, but
getting more robust gardens going in my neighborhood that can supply local
stores. That just means skilling up the many who are already showing
interest in person!

But about Cuba: I echo Bob in asking not to idealize the country or demand
our uncritical support! I've been there twice and do love it, and hope to
go this fall for the convergence, and yes they've done amazing things with
the food system. But they have no freedom of speech! The permaculture
folks I've met there have been afraid to talk with me for too long --let
alone host me overnight-- should their neighbors rat them out to the
government (who would fine them for associating with foreigners without a
permit). It is NOT an ideal country. Elements of it yes, but think about
the total impact of a dictatorship without freedom of speech, even if
heavily communal and self-reliant.

To Chris (Lumpkin?): Hey, if you’re not into activism than I’m not going
to change your mind. I’m happy to throw my weight behind the furthering of
the work of activists who’ve come before (right to vote, labor laws,
supposed end to slavery, etc). Advocating for the disruption of systems of
ecosystem destruction seems like a worthy place to put my time

To Bob: I had thought up some previous comments to your last post but
since you finished the book there's no need for those! It's true that
Permaculture is never defined in the book, but generally and repeatedly
put into the same category as bike-riding and shorter showers (the
Solutions-Oriented Approach that all permies, including myself love).
Except with the whole 200 species going extinct a day, and a system that
continues on devouring even if we drive less....that's the call to greater
action. The authors don't ask permaculturists per se to be the aboveground
wing, but since it was my big take-away (as someone who is of course going
to continue doing permaculture and riding bikes) I think you nailed it!
Big organized movements are of course wishful thinking in their infancy.
The part I liked about the book is how I had to think and re-clarify my
place in this movement, as not only a permaculture gardener/teacher but
advocate of industrial disruption.

About the DGR organization/ trans split: All new to me. It's laughable
that our Tacoma DGR group would be even slightly anti-transgender, knowing
us :) And Bob's right about the upsides to our 'rhizome and stolon'
approach, as frustrating as it often is that we're not more organized.
Kelda