permaculture - [permaculture] john douglas

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: john douglas <johnarthurdouglas99@yahoo.com>
  • To: jdouglas4 <jdouglas4@wi.rr.com>, permaculture ca <permaculture_ca@yahoogroups.com>, GardeninginPanama <GardeninginPanama@yahoogroups.com>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, omgcreativesolutions <omgcreativesolutions@gmail.com>
  • Subject: [permaculture] john douglas
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 11:48:29 -0700 (PDT)

aqe

http://bidhiex.com/ew/rcdpwbspcvx/bodwgxejdoongcd.php
john douglas
qmk
>From lfljvenaura@gmail.com Sun Jun 16 20:10:53 2013
From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 20:10:22 -0400
To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: [permaculture] Graham Bell: Permaculture is real alternative -
Comment - Scotsman.com

http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/opinion/comment/graham-bell-permacultu=
re-is-real-alternative-1-2964852#.Ub3sMoOUg8N.facebook

Graham Bell: Permaculture is real alternative

By GRAHAM BELL
Published on *13/06/2013 02:21*

AS the rusty economy grinds painfully and the financial world remains in
tatters; when the unemployed see little light at the end of the tunnel and
disaster seems flavour of the month, it=E2=80=99s good to know there is a
counter-culture working in the opposite direction, a worldwide movement of
people creating positive solutions for themselves.

They=E2=80=99re not waiting for
governments<http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/opinion/comment/graham-bel=
l-permaculture-is-real-alternative-1-2964852#>to
act or asking permission.

One expression of this is =E2=80=9Cpermaculture=E2=80=9D, a word derived fr=
om permanent
agriculture, but increasingly directed to thinking about intelligent design
for all aspects of human culture.

What these people are doing is researching and learning from the best model
we have for how to run efficient systems: the world of nature. Then they
practise what they have learned. How can we take as much responsibility for
as much of our own needs as possible =E2=80=93 and have a great time doing =
it? For
many the start point is growing our own food.

Then there=E2=80=99s how we meet our energy
needs<http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/opinion/comment/graham-bell-perm=
aculture-is-real-alternative-1-2964852#>,
such as building energy-efficient, low-impact housing or retrofitting
existing buildings. We can also harvest renewable energy at a local level,
not just feed it into the grid. And we can think about how we travel.

We can also apply new models of education so today=E2=80=99s youngsters hav=
e much
greater resilience and capability for dealing with the uncertain times
ahead, when our society can no longer sustain present rates of consumption.

The aim is to create a fairer sharing of our planet=E2=80=99s resources. Th=
is is
not just a dream. Many thousands around the world have trained in
permaculture and are changing the way they produce what they need in life,
sharing surpluses, building micro-businesses and reducing their carbon
footprint<http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/opinion/comment/graham-bell-=
permaculture-is-real-alternative-1-2964852#>.

This weekend at Comrie Croft, Perthshire, 200 Scottish practitioners will
meet, learn, entertain each other and continue to build on a vision first
organised here 25 years ago. Aspects, such as agroforestry (laughed at
then) are now government policy. A good idea has come of age.

=E2=80=A2 Graham Bell is a permaculture teacher. permaculture.org.uk/scotla=
nd;
grahambell.org/permaculture-2

  • [permaculture] john douglas, john douglas, 06/15/2013