permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Lawrence please fix this !@*^!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Lawrence please fix this !@*^!
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 07:31:50 -0700

I manage the emails from this list by having them all sent to a folder (on a
Mac, a mailbox) named iBiblio list. I recommend doing this, and all email
apps have a way to do it. Here's how to do it on a Mac in its native "Mail"
program. Mac Mail has "rules" that will automatically deal with stuff like
this.

First I created a mail folder called "iBiblio list" that the mail will go to
automatically.

Then go to Mail preferences, and click on "rules." In that menu, in
"description," give the rule a name, like "iBiblio list".

Then, set the next line to "if ANY of the following conditions are met"

Set the next line to "Any recipient" "contains"
"permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org"

Just to be safe I then clicked the "plus" sign next to that line and added
"Subject" "contains" "[permaculture]" That last word needs to be in
brackets, since that's how all the subjects in this list appear for me. That
gets all the mail from this list too, since occasionally the email address
alone, above, doesn't show up.

Then on the next line, which says "perform the following actions," set it up
for "move message" to mailbox "iBiblio list" (the last is a menu selection of
all your mailboxes)

That way, when 258 emails show up, they aren't mixed in with my inbox mail,
and I can mass delete them all. And I don't care if people get way OT or
write about things I don't care about; the mail is in a separate folder
rather than in my inbox and I can ignore them till I feel like checking them.

If you are checking email on a phone, there are ways to batch delete on
phones, too. Just google it as a question about your phone. You don't have to
open each one and delete it. Learn your machine; you are not the first person
to get unwanted emails, and the designers have dealt with it. The answers are
out there.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com