permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Join me on this petition! (EP plant propagation law)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Alia Tsang <alia@dietrick.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Join me on this petition! (EP plant propagation law)
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 08:34:32 -0700

This was mentioned on another list I'm on, here's more detail (and a couple
more petitions).

One thing that wasn't discussed was this section:
This Regulation shall not apply
to plant reproductive material:
(a) intended solely for testing or scientific purposes;
(b) intended solely for selection purposes; or
(c) intended solely for, and maintained in,
gene banks and networks of conservation of
genetic resources associated with gene banks;
*(d) exchanged in kind between persons other than operators. *

operator' means any natural or legal person carrying out
professionally at least one of the following activities with regard to
plant reproductive material: reproducing,
producing, breeding, maintaining, providing services, preserving, including
storing,
and placing on the market;

If it passes I envision a network of "hobbyists" exchanging plants and
seed. Maybe mailing each other "souvenir" packs of seed for their personal
gene banks. There will always be ways around laws like this.

The draft of the law