permaculture - [permaculture] Natural Beekeeping Workshops in Turkey with Debra Roberts, May 2013

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Filiz Telek <filizatbaraka@gmail.com>
  • To: General <general@europe.ecovillage.org>, International Permaculture List <permaculture@openpermaculture.org>, Permaculture Day <internationalpermacultureday@gmail.com>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, permaship@googlegroups.com
  • Subject: [permaculture] Natural Beekeeping Workshops in Turkey with Debra Roberts, May 2013
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 13:01:39 +0300

Dear friends,

Greetings from Turkey!

We are organizing 3 natural beekeeping workshops in Turkey with master
beekeeper Debra Roberts in May 2013.

*“Natural Beekeeping for BEEginners: Come explore natural beekeeping,
honeybee basics, hive equipment and tools, start-up costs, what “organic”
beekeeping really means, how to get in and out of a hive successfully, and
good stewardship practices. Session tailored for BEEginners with no or very
little experience.”*

In Debra’s workshop we will cover the following:
• The importance of community in beekeeping and helpful resources for
people beginning?
• Where do I get bees (what choices do I have?) and what kind should I get?
• How do I prepare my bee yard?
• How do I prepared my hive bodies?
• What kinds of hives should I choose? (Langstroth? 8 or 10 frame? Top bar?
Or?)
• What basic equipment do I need to get going?
• The importance of taking notes and how to do that
• Costs
• What do I do when the bees first come to my yard?
• How do the bees need us to be around them?
• What do conditions need to be like for me to go into my hives?
• What are simple first year goals as a beekeeper?
• Good basic beekeeping terminology
• The basic bee life cycle (queen, drones and workers)
• How to use a smoker and why.
• The importance of getting a lot of hands-on l experience and how to do
that.
• Hands-on versus hands-off beekeeping
• What is Natural Beekeeping?
• How is urban beekeeping different and what are the most important things
to keep in mind about keeping bees in a city environment.
• How do I catch a swarm? The importance of a “swarm list” in a city
(connecting beekeepers with swarms).
• When to harvest honey and how much.
• The hive as a superorganism
• What do I do when I leave this workshop?
• Women’s ways in the bee yard.

• Some wisdom about the bees from various Native American elders

*
WORKSHOP VENUES AND DATES*

4-5 May 2013, İstanbul
İstanbul Permakültür Kolektifi
Contact: ipermakulturkolektifi@gmail.com
Suggested participation fee: 75 TL

Limited to 40 participants.

10-12 May 2013, Çanakkale
Çanakkale Permakültür Topluluğu
Contact: permakulturcanakkale@gmail.com
Suggested participation fee: 75 TL

17-19 May 2013, Datça
Contact: datca.aricilari@gmail.com (Pınar Kınıkoğlu)
Suggested participation fee: 125 TL (including lunch and tea for 3 days)
The fees *DO NOT* include accommodation and food.

Please join us in discovering, learning and loving the BEEs! Please share
with your networks. thank you!

BEE-lessings,
Filiz Telek

--

Mitakuye Oyasin/for all my relations,

Filiz Telek
evolving with LOVE,
telling the new story of Humanity and the Earth
@ BraveNewWorld <http://www.thebravenewworld.org> &
medicineWords<http://medicinewords.org>
& medicineWomen <http://www.womenaremedicine.com>

*awakening the presence of Sacred & possibility in human heart & spirit *

*NOW RAISING GIFTS FOR MY WORK IN 2013!* Please check out my crowdfunding
campaign<http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/co-creating-the-brave-new-world/x/232370>
.

Watch Brave New World in 3 minutes! <https://vimeo.com/56699141>

Instructions for a Brave New World:
*"A Message from the Hopi Elders"
*You have been telling the people that this is the Eleventh Hour.
Now you must go back and tell the people that *this is The Hour*.
Here are the things that must be considered:
Where are you living? What are you doing? What are your relationships? Are
you in right relation?
Where is your water? Know your garden. It is time to speak your Truth.
Create your community. Be good to each other. And do not look outside
yourself for the leader.
*This could be a good time! *
There is a river flowing now very fast. It is so great and swift, that
there are those who will be afraid.
They will try to hold on to the shore. They will feel they are being torn
apart and will suffer greatly.
Know the river has its destination.
The elders say we must let go of the shore, push off into the middle of the
river, keep our eyes open,
and our heads above the water. And I say, see who is in there with you and
celebrate.
At this time in history, we are to take nothing personal. Least of all,
ourselves.
For the moment that we do, our spiritual growth and journey comes to a
halt.
The time of the lone wolf is over.
Gather yourselves! Banish the word "struggle" from your attitude and your
vocabulary.
*All that we do now must be done in a sacred manner and in celebration.
We are the ones we have been waiting for!**
*

  • [permaculture] Natural Beekeeping Workshops in Turkey with Debra Roberts, May 2013, Filiz Telek, 04/03/2013