permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [compost_tea] Dispensing tea - spray or dribble?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rev Dele <wearenaturesfriends@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [compost_tea] Dispensing tea - spray or dribble?
  • Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 17:22:35 -0400

I don't know if the other email has this on it........

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 4:28 PM, loren luyendyk <loren@sborganics.com>wrote:

> Bacterial tea is less troublesome to apply than fungal from what I hear.
> Fungi are a lot larger and more susceptible to pressure and filtration.
> Darren Doherty recommended a very simple extract/tea application system
> which consists of 50 gal drums mounted on an a-frame or preferably the
> frame of the Keyline plow.
>
> If you have a Keyline plow or other type of non-inversion chisel plow you
> can set up the drums to gravity dribble the tea into the furrow directly
> behind the plow tine (make sure you plow following the Keyline!!). If you
> are keen you can also drop seed into the furrow to spread the microbes via
> roots to the surrounding soil (Darren calls this the Keyline Super Plow:
> https://plus.google.com/photos/117745392570544689225/albums/5834666411829292785?banner=pwa).
> This gets the goodies into the soil where they can colonize and not dry
> out.
>
> You might as well throw some micronuts/biofertilizers in there too while
> you're at it. Check the soil for what is lacking, though kelp and humic
> acid won't hurt. I am also using Effective Microorganisms in my brews.
>
> happy plowing!
> Loren Luyendyk
> 805-452-8249
> Permaculture Design and Education
> ISA Certified Arborist #WE-7805A
> www.sborganics.com
> www.globalpermaculture.com
> www.surferswithoutborders.com
>

> > Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 18:02:36 -0400
> > From: venaurafarm@bellsouth.net
> > To: compost_tea@yahoogroups.com; permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org;
> marketfarming@lists.ibiblio.org
> > Subject: Re: [permaculture] [compost_tea] Dispensing tea - spray or
> dribble?

> > > On 3/28/2013 9:41 PM, venaurafarm wrote:
> > > If you don't intend to do foliar spraying then dripping it onto the
> > > ground seems like a good idea, if you can control the distribution rate
> > > without clogging the system. Will it be gravity flow or pressurized
> > > lines? Beyond a certain point the microbes can be killed by being
> forced
> > > with the tea through a system that uses too much pressure.
> > > Here's a person who knows all about this and has designed and built a
> > > large truck-mounted spray rig with sensors and controls to prevent over
> > > pressurizing the lines: Frank Schultz
> >
> > Frank sent me this reply:
> > <>
> >
> > Yes, you are quite correct: Microbes are fragile and easily destroyed by
> > impact or crushing.
> >
> > General Notes -
> >
> > 1. Pumps - use only a diaphragm pump. The lower the speed, the
> > better. Other types are very destructive. Centrifugals are the worst
> > (giving you “bug purée”). Note that manufacturers of most diaphragm
> > pumps specify a 50-mesh inlet screen to avoid clogging or blocking the
> > valves. Large diaphragm trash pumps require no screen (they’ll accept
> > chunks up to several inches) - however, their output pressures tend to
> [...]

*Rev. M. Dele*
*Nature's Friends Institute** *
*Plymouth UCC Church*
*5301 N. Capitol St. NE WDC 20011*
*(202) 723-2542 D.C. office*
**
*Demonstration Site*
*P.O. Box 497 *
*Victoria, VA 23974*
*(434) 696-2439*
*
*
*"Deeply rooted trees create a calm atmosphere--deeply rooted human souls
do the same"... www.naturesfriends.ning.com*

*
*