permaculture - [permaculture] Bocashi compost | Paper Bokashi | Page 2 | Archive for the ‘Bocashi compost’ Category

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Bocashi compost | Paper Bokashi | Page 2 | Archive for the ‘Bocashi compost’ Category
  • Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 13:38:50 -0400

http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/category/bocashi-compost/page/2/
http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/category/bocashi-compost/page/2/

Archive for the ‘Bocashi compost’ Category
Newer Entries
»<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/category/bocashi-compost/>
Newspaper bokashi, instead of expensive
bran<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/2010/03/08/brief-summary/>
March
8, 2010

Source : the now extinct: http : / /bokashicomposting.com/

Instead of using expensive bran I ferment newspaper to use between the
layers of compost in the bucket.

I take one part lactobacillus serum to one part molasses to six parts
water. (label and freeze any extra serum)

I soak a bunch of newspapers thoroughly in the mixture and drain well.

I place the soaked newspapers in a 2 gallon zip lock baggie, remove all the
air and seal.

Place in a cool dark spot and wait 10 days to 2 weeks to get a good
fermentation.

After the fermentation process I separate and dry the newspaper. It’s now
the carrier for the bacteria.

After the bokashi newspaper has thoroughly dried, it’s now the carrier for
the digestive lacto bacteria.

I bought inexpensive snap-top buckets from Wal-Mart for about $5.00 each,
the lids snap on and off easily, especially with the addition of a little
olive oil rubbed around the rim.

I don’t bother with a drain….I place 1 to 2 inches of dry absorbent
material in the bottom of the bucket (peat, shredded newspaper, or clean
sawdust) and pack well.

To start the bucket I place a piece of the bokashi newspaper on top of the
absorbent material, just enough to cover….then I start adding waste
(chopped up)…up to a 1/2 inch layer at a time…add a piece of newspaper
between each and every layer until the bucket is full….packing each layer
well helps ensure a good fermentation. (I use a potato masher.)

That’s about all there is to it.

Oh, I’ve been experimenting with adding a tablespoon of healthy garden soil
to the bucket after it’s started well (4-5 days) to culture more of the
naturally occurring anaerobic digestive microorganisms, but I’m convinced
it’s not necessary. The bokashi compost with just the lacto decomposed
quickly in the garden and in my worm bins.

Download complete instructions:
Bokashicomposting.pdf<http://bocashi.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/bokashicomposting1.pdf>

Tags:BIMs beneficial indigenous
micro-organisms<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/tag/bims-beneficial-indigenous-micro-organisms/>,
bokashi <http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/tag/bokashi/>, DIY bokashi
starter
recipe<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/tag/diy-bokashi-starter-recipe/>,
http://bokashicomposting.com/<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/tag/httpbokashicomposting-com/>,
lactobacillus <http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/tag/lactobacillus/>,
newspaper
as carrier <http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/tag/newspaper-as-carrier/>,
newspaper bokashi
secrets<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/tag/newspaper-bokashi-secrets/>,
no expensive
bran<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/tag/no-expensive-bran/>
Posted in Bocashi
compost<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/category/bocashi-compost/>,
EM hype <http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/category/em-hype/>, Newspaper
Bokashi <http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/category/newspaper-bokashi/>,
Urban bokashi<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/category/urban-bokashi/>|
Leave
a Comment
»<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/2010/03/08/brief-summary/#respond>
Make your own FREE bokashi
starter.<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/2010/03/07/make-your-own-free-bokashi-starter/>
March
7, 2010

Summary of Google cache (February 2010) for Bokashi Composting. Newspaper
Bokashi Secrets, the now extinct: http : / /bokashicomposting.com/

Making your own bokashi starter culture in place of commercially available
EM is incredibly easy.

My goal from the start was to produce bokashi compost without the use of
expensive EM, bran or fancy buckets.

The most important component of the commercial EM in relation to bokashi is
lactobacillus bacteria, the others are secondary (if at all necessary) and
can be cultured in the bucket when conditions are favorable.

I culture my own lactobacillus serum starting with a rice wash water
solution.

Making the serum is amazingly simple.

- I mix one part rice thoroughly with two parts water (1/2 a cup to one
cup).
- Mix thoroughly and vigorously.
- Drain.
- The resulting water should be cloudy.
- Place the rice water in a container with 50-75% head space allowing
plenty of air to circulate.
- Cover lightly (air should be able to move in and out of the container)
and place in a cool dark spot for 5-8 days.
- At the end of the wait the mixture should smell mildly sour.
- Strain out any particles.
- Put the finished rice water solution in a bigger container and add 10
parts milk (I use skim).
- DO NOT seal tightly, the gases must be able to escape.
- Allow 14 days for a complete ferment, most of the solids in the milk
will float to the top revealing the yellowish serum.
- Strain off the solids.
- You now have purified lactobacillus serum.

[Summary, Google cache for http : / /*bokashicomposting.com*/] Download
reorganized version of that
site<http://bocashi.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/bokashicomposting1.pdf>

lactobacillus <http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/tag/lactobacillus/>, no
expensive bran<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/tag/no-expensive-bran/>
Posted in Bocashi
compost<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/category/bocashi-compost/>,
EM hype <http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/category/em-hype/>, Newspaper
Bokashi <http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/category/newspaper-bokashi/>,
Urban bokashi<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/category/urban-bokashi/>|
2
Comments
»<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/2010/03/07/make-your-own-free-bokashi-starter/#comments>
Bokashi in School Waste Management (New
Zealand)<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/2009/09/07/bokashi-in-school-waste-management-new-zealand/>
September
7, 2009
School stories on waste
education<http://www.nelsoncitycouncil.co.nz/school-stories-on-waste-education>
(Nelson
City Council, New Zealand)
A bokashi victory September 2009

Two years ago Victory school had a problem with the large amount of fruit
scraps, generated as a result of their involvement in the Fruit in Schools
Programme, run by the District Health Board. This programme provides free
fruit to students at school every day to boost the children’s nutrition
levels.

A *large-scale bokashi system* provided the answer to their fruit scrap
problem. This system takes care of citrus and other fruit scraps, as well
as ham sandwiches and all kinds of lunch time food scraps not suitable for
other systems.

Nelson City Council donated two large 120-litre drums to the school for use
as large-scale bokashi containers. One drum is used at a time and is dug
down into the ground in a suitable spot within the school garden. The soil
removed to create a hole for the drum is piled around the base and is used
to cover the bokashi mix once the hole is full and the drum is removed.
This part of the garden is then planted after a couple of weeks. The drums
are rotated around the sites in the garden on a regular basis.

Selected senior students are on collection duty for the term. They collect
fruit scraps in buckets at the end of the school day and carry them over to
the big bokashi drum in the community garden. They usually get about six
full buckets of scraps from a total of 18 collection buckets located in
each classroom. The students tip the buckets into the drum, pack the food
scraps down, and sprinkle in a handful of bokashi compost-zing on top,
before making sure the lid is put back on tightly. The school funds the
ongoing cost of the compost-zing activator for their bokashi system.

“Before we had the bokashi system, we were having a big problem as there
were just too many fruit scraps and our compost bin was overflowing. Also
the type of waste was not suitable for composting – some days we just had
banana skins, other days too much orange peel. The bokashi system makes it
easy,” says teacher Judy-Anne.

Tags:bokashi <http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/tag/bokashi/>, bokashi
compost <http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/tag/bokashi-compost/>, orange
peel <http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/tag/orange-peel/>
Posted in Bocashi
compost<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/category/bocashi-compost/>,
Urban bokashi<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/category/urban-bokashi/>,
waste
management<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/category/waste-management/>|
Leave
a Comment
»<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/2009/09/07/bokashi-in-school-waste-management-new-zealand/#respond>
Cutting the Hype on EM Bokashi
(0)<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/2009/01/19/cutting-the-hype-on-em-bokashi-0/>
January
19, 2009

[Woodchuck] (…)

Bokashi compliments vermiculture.

I noticed at a neighbors farm a few years ago that compost worms were
thriving in corn silage that had spilled down around the outside of the
silo, I had always read that acidity was bad for worms and that they
wouldn’t do well in low PH, turns out that was a lie, not only were they
thriving they were converting the fermented silage into castings at a rapid
rate.
It wasn’t long after that that I stumbled upon the bokashi thing while
searching composting videos on youtube.
I immediately said to myself, all this is is ensiling, it was then that I
started experimenting.
So, not only is the bokashi broken down fairly rapidly by the worms, the
waste is also stabilized for long periods of time so I can ration it out to
the worms. I only wish I had more worms to work with.

There are other advantages…..bokashi is impregnated with digestive
bacteria, mostly lactobacillus so it breaks down very
rapidly…..convenience…..there are minimal foul smells……no fruit flies or
other varmints…….for those living in colder climates the stabilized bokashi
compost can be banked in winter months and added to worm bins, regular
compost piles or buried in the ground or containers in the spring…to name a
few…….
Source:
http://alanbishop.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=soilbuilding&action=display&thread=2126

Tags:BIMs beneficial indigenous
micro-organisms<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/tag/bims-beneficial-indigenous-micro-organisms/>,
bocashi
fertilizer<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/tag/bocashi-fertilizer/>,
bokashi <http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/tag/bokashi/>, bokashi
compost <http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/tag/bokashi-compost/>,
ensilaging <http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/tag/ensilaging/>, lactic
acid producing
bacteria<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/tag/lactic-acid-producing-bacteria/>,
compost worms<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/category/compost-worms/>,
EM hype <http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/category/em-hype/>,
ensilaging <http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/category/ensilaging/>,
Newspaper
Bokashi <http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/category/newspaper-bokashi/>,
vermiculture <http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/category/vermiculture/>|
Leave
a Comment
»<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/2009/01/19/cutting-the-hype-on-em-bokashi-0/#respond>
Bokashi Experiment
(Nicaragua)<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/2007/11/19/bokashi-experiment-nicaragua/>
November
19, 2007

*Evaluation of composting as a strategy for managing organic wastes from a
municipal market in
Nicaragua<http://newspaperbokashi.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/aulinas2008desechosorganicos.pdf>
*

Montserrat Aulinas Maso´ , August Bonmatı Blasi *

Laboratory of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, University of Girona,
Campus Montilivi, s/n, 17071 Girona, Spain

Abstract

A pilot-scale study was undertaken to evaluate alternatives to the solid
waste management of a Central American municipal market located in Estelı
´, Nicaragua. The municipal solid waste from the local market is the second
largest contributor to the municipal solid waste (MSW) stream. Waste from
the market without any previous sorting or treatment is open dumped. The
options evaluated in this study were *windrow composting, windrow
composting with yard waste, bokashi and vermicompost*. Significant
differences between the properties of composts produced were found; however,
all of them reduce the initial waste volume and are potential useful
agronomic products for a survival agrarian milieu.

(…)

*Bokashi* (Bk): A layer of organic wastes from the market, a layer of
cattle manure (coming approximately to 170 kg of organic wastes), a thin
layer of vegetal coal and a thin layer of rice husk (2.3 kg each), all of
them watered with yeast and sugar from cane dissolved in water. This
procedure was repeated three times and materials were turned over
frequently.

[The document includes a table comparing the 4 options evaluated]

Download
document<http://newspaperbokashi.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/aulinas2008desechosorganicos.pdf>

Rural bokashi<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/category/rural-bokashi/>,
waste
management<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/category/waste-management/>|
Leave
a Comment
»<http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/2007/11/19/bokashi-experiment-nicaragua/#respond>

  • [permaculture] Bocashi compost | Paper Bokashi | Page 2 | Archive for the ‘Bocashi compost’ Category, Lawrence London, 03/24/2013