permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The death of the Russian village | openDemocracy ||| Abandoned village in Karelia, Russia

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The death of the Russian village | openDemocracy ||| Abandoned village in Karelia, Russia
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 11:17:34 -0400

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 5:13 AM, Daniel Jager <dfjager@yahoo.com> wrote:

> For 3 years I had done research in North Karelia, the Finnish 'side' of
> Karelia. The landscape is almost identical to its Russian counterpart.
> In the area were I did my research, there were abandoned villages just
> like in the picture. Quite a few villages, however, were well maintained.
> And the tiny village where the research institute was, was exceptional.
> I remember the lake; lake Mekrijaervi. It had this magical view. Utter
> beauty. With those intense sharp colors that only occur closer to the
> poles. And it was magical no matter what time of the day you would look on
> her waters, no matter the weather, and no matter the time of year.

Beautiful. How lucky you are to have lived and worked in Karelia.

Here are more collected photos you might enjoy:

Russian Art
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/103323666932740258290/albums/5790849662874955105

Aardvark Era
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/103323666932740258290/albums/5682408208396498833