permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How to save the world from desertification and reverse climate change

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How to save the world from desertification and reverse climate change
  • Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 23:23:42 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 16:26:56 +1300
From: Don Miller <donmillernz@GMAIL.COM>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Further to my earlier comments, it is totally refreshing to see the
original thought Allan has used, based on his observations. Field
observation of small local phenomena is crucial and yet so many
consultants never spend time in the field, never spend time discussing
the problems with the local people over a village meal and never
deviate from what they wrongly assume to be "the way". (The problem
possibly also involves air conditioning and not wanting to get their
clothes, especially their knees, dirty.) I could write a book on
that subject...

Fire has been the cause of much of my erosion restoration work, even
though its unwise use may have been centuries before. It is
important, though, to differentiate between the burning of rangeland
and the use of fire on small plots in a rotational cultivation/fallow
garden system in a humid climate. Allan does acknowledge that but
doesn't emphasise it. Garden burning is frequently the only way
traditional agriculture can function, and if goats are the dominant
animal in that small garden plot situation they will prevent the
outcome Allan has achieved. A pox on the schemes that liberate goats
to "help" people.

Don