permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How monoculture farming changes biodiversity

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How monoculture farming changes biodiversity
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 14:44:36 -0500

On 2/15/2013 10:04 AM, Jude Hobbs wrote:

I'm working with farmers who grow hops, wine grapes, blueberries,
nut trees and/or grains. Many of these sites (between 100-500 acres)
are mono-cropped or have minimal biodiversity. For farmers' ease of
use, I'm creating templates introducing islands of diverse species,
or beneficial insect attracting plant oasis's, for temperate and arid
environments. The templates can be for a multitude of crop types.

If anyone on this list works within these or similar parameters, I'd
appreciate hearing from you.

That would be fascinating work.

Regarding "beneficial insect attracting plant oases", I once posted to the sanet-mg list that it should be possible to render vast acreage on a large working farm insect pest free or nearly so by integrating within all cropping area wild "islands" (oases) populated with beneficial insects and other organisms, including innoculation of soil with beneficial microorganisms (a regular renewal or replenishment program of maintenance, same with he other organisms), though proper habitat created for them there to also include edge zones, water features: berms, swales, dams, ponds, lakes, wet weather streams or drainage conduits.

LL