permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Cabbage Fermentaion

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Cabbage Fermentaion
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 00:15:44 -0000

I would only consider burrying cabbage underground (preferably just put it on the shelf in the cellar) for fermentation if above ground temperatures rose above 40 C degrees. We now have a special sauerkraut pot that has a high rim so that you can make it air tight. Much like a water lock in a wine making barrel. But in the past we have made fermented cabbage in a bucket with a plastic bag filled with water on top. The water in the bag makes that the plastic bag is pressed against the empty sides of the bucket to keep it airtight.
John

Has anyone ever buried cabbage in order to allow it to ferment? What kind of container did you use?

Krystal Kennedy
917 4508737