permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Heirloom Seed Sources

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Heirloom Seed Sources
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 19:31:35 -0500

On 12/22/2012 10:31 PM, Jason Gerhardt wrote:

I admit to growing one hybrid crop: cauliflower. Cauliflower is just
amazing as a hybrid (and I LOVE cauliflower). I'm pretty sure the seed for
Cauliflower is not produced in China. It is probably the most finicky seed
crop to grow, only producing good quality seed in a couple regions of the
world, which I am forgetting now, but I want to say Northern France.

Is this variety open pollinated and does its flavor equal that of typical cauliflower?

Romanesco broccoli, or Roman cauliflower, is an edible flower of the species Brassica oleracea, and a variant form of cauliflower. First documented in Italy, it is light green in color and approximates a natural fractal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanesco_broccoli