permaculture - [permaculture] aquaponics in the desert: The Pond at Sunflower River

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Alan Post <alanpost@sunflowerriver.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] aquaponics in the desert: The Pond at Sunflower River
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 12:52:50 -0701

This year I helped build an aquaponics system at my community,
Sunflower River. We live in the desert southwest of the United
States, and I found that our aquaponics system had some unique
challenges and created some unique opportunities: We worked
very hard to minimize evaporation and water loss, and discovered
that the system was outstanding for starts, transplants, and
root cuttings. A use I hadn't imagined when I started.

My co-designer Rev Tsolwizar and friend Mattie Greenman made
a short video giving an overview of the system:

http://youtu.be/JyD1FrxwbqE

Have a look and tell me what you think!

-Alan
--
.i ma'a lo bradi cu penmi gi'e du

  • [permaculture] aquaponics in the desert: The Pond at Sunflower River, Alan Post, 12/10/2012