permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Sustainability | mushroom compost, stacked functions, reciprocity, food and forage

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Sustainability | mushroom compost, stacked functions, reciprocity, food and forage
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 12:51:11 -0500

When you brew beer, use your spent mash to grow mushrooms. Then you use
your mushroom compost as animal feed-- more digestible than raw spent
grain. Cook and eat your mushrooms, then use the energy to build a bin to
store your animal poop in. Once aged, it becomes a useful soil amendment.

http://in.gredients.com/2012/06/11/brewing-mushrooms/

Here's the expanded concept:

http://www.triplepundit.com/2012/06/brewing-beer-sustainably-mushrooms-algae/

You'll find this diagram (on PDF) to be very useful:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1s1ulE4Rn3PyxNW4ZJAAXQIdrrzueDgs9pzcDYvrZCmZTzRgBum8oxSMU7mvF/edit

All this is in accord with Permaculture Pinciple #4:

*Reciprocity* - Utilize the yields of each element to meet the needs of
other elements in the system.* *

This means there is a give and a take between elements. The output from one
element can be an input for another element. A good example of this is
composting. Kitchen scraps could be an output from our kitchen where we
have left over organic matter and we use that as an input to our compost
pile and when it's in the compost pile it will turn into valuable
fertilizer which we can then put on our garden. And then an output of our
garden is food which would again be an input into the kitchen. So, you can
see that the inputs and the outputs are circulating within our system.

http://www.heathcote.org/PCIntro/4Principles.htm

  • [permaculture] Fwd: Sustainability | mushroom compost, stacked functions, reciprocity, food and forage, Lawrence London, 12/03/2012