permaculture - Re: [permaculture] OT but could affect us: Act now to stop unaccountable, censor-friendly UN agency from hijacking control of the Internet! - Boing Boing

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Chris Lumpkin <clumpkin@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] OT but could affect us: Act now to stop unaccountable, censor-friendly UN agency from hijacking control of the Internet! - Boing Boing
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 09:56:23 -0500

I have long thought that any degree of freedom and privacy on the Internet
will be torn to shreds by commercial interests before too long. I am less
concerned about privacy - I don't care who hears what I say, and I work
very hard to live with integrity so I don't require privacy - but the
monetization of our data (emails, Facebook posts) and our very
consciousness (tracking cookies following what we read) are leading the
Internet experience to a place no one can trust.

As far as privacy goes... the best way to keep a secret is not to tell
anyone. If you want your data private, don't write it down, don't keep it
on a computer, don't store it on any device connected to a network, and
especially don't send it over a network. If you cannot abide by those
rules, your best bet is some sort of
encryption<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_encryption> -
which is quite possible for sending emails from one person to another,
trusted person.

As far as the corporate takeover of the lightwaves... There Ain't No Such
Thing As A Free Lunch (TANSTAAFL) - or a free email account, or a free
Facebook account, or a free "online news source". Even your paid ISP
account is subsidized by corporate infrastructure with many ties to
government entities and other sharks that would eat you, should you swim
too far out from your school. The underlying protocol on which the Internet
is based, TCP/IP, was designed to circumvent attempts at blockage or
intrusion of communications. Unfortunately, that design is not fully
realized in the physical manifestation of today's Internet. I believe
virtually all Internet traffic traverses network infrastructure that is
owned by only three corporations. They may have broken up Ma Bell, but she
is being stitched together into a Frankenstein monster that only cares
about profit. There is a very good reason you hear the term "Internet
backbone" - the network we all rely on so heavily is composed of relatively
few corporate trunk lines and satellite networks.

I think the best long-term solution is a multitude of networks composed of
peer-to-peer connections and over-the-air networks on independent or
community-owned infrastructure. My permaculture awareness, transposed over
my computing knowledge, tells me the answer is in a multitude of networks
and systems that provide diversity, redundancy, failover, scalability,
rapid adaptation; all the things one would expect from Mother Nature, or a
well built website or networked software. TCP/IP works very well, and it
does not care what vehicle it rides in.

One possibility is a trusted network of ham radio stations using encryption
protocols that would make it exceedingly difficult and expensive, if not
impossible, to crack. While these radio frequencies are relatively low
bandwidth, they could easily support data transfer for email listservs like
this one.

Of course, if you're feeling ambitious, you could fund your own network of
satellites and tracking stations like these German hackers
proposed<http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-01/german-hackers-are-building-diy-space-program-put-their-own-uncensored-internet-space>
.

In any case, I'm not a big fan of waving signs at politicians, in my
country or abroad, to try and talk them out of selling my freedom to the
highest bidder. I don't believe they will listen, and I don't find it a
productive use of energy. I prefer to make my own freedom as much as
possible.

Hey, maybe we could use trees as radio towers for a permaculture network,
and mycellium for the "land lines"! Now I'm getting all "Avatar"...

-Chris