permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Please help spread the word on this rainwater harvesting video

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Please help spread the word on this rainwater harvesting video
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:01:12 -0500

This is a delightful video, very much where the rubber [and water] meets
the road...great grassroots art too.

I voted, again and will post links to Facebook an Google+. Needless to say
every post sent to this list gets archived for public viewing and posted
two more times on the Web,
once to a blog and again to a group or list (Google resources).

Thanks for the references, Toby and Koreen.

On my site I had a really serious, expensive, problem with water. Rain was
eroding the soil in my gardens, not soaking in where it should
because it was channeled downhill and was carrying away very expensive
nutrients from soil amendments I had applied and incorporated into the soil,
I am talking over four acres worth of this debacle. I terraformed the land,
created dams, swales and berms, deep below grade paths between garden beds
that
allowed overflow to course to the next garden or field where it could be
used and stored. What escaped this catchment, reuse and storage system
flowed slowly into any of three wet weather ponds, one of which always has
water and another goes dry very infrequently. These ponds were created as
borrow pits for dirt used to build berms and terraces then filled with
water (in a heavy rain, in one day's time) afterward in their new role as
catchment and aquatic habitat. I can harvest a considerable amount duckweed
to use as mulch and fertilizer increasing soil OM in the process. I hope to
photo and video the site with emphasis on the water harvesting and
management system I created.

LL

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com> wrote:

http://vimeo.com/focusforwardfilms/semifinalists/51886318