permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: Highest use for tires?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: Highest use for tires?
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 14:12:23 -0500

Pointless:

1) severe pollution from the tires (and floating islands of garbage, sewage
disposal, discharge from ships, storm runoff, etc.)
2) sea level rise from global warming
3) unpredictable and predictable adverse and undesirable ecological changes
in the marine environment, see Toby's enlightening post

Worthwhile:

curbing environmental pollution affecting Gaia, more plant life, healthier
animal life, more ecological diversity, more natural farming and food
production,
more carbon sequestration, more local, homestead-based energy production
and all around energy efficiency, more recycling, less waste overall

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 9:11 AM, dford <dford@suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote:

> Folks. Though this Guardian article will not be of use to anyone seeking
> an immediate application for discarded auto tires, I thought it might be of
> general interest to the permaculture community. dylan
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/nov/04/stephen-salter-tyre-hurricane-sandy
> The man who would stop hurricanes with car tyres
> Devastating tropical storms of the kind that battered the US last week
> could be weakened and rendered less deadly using a simple and cheap
> technology based on a surprising component – old car tyres.
> One of Britain's leading marine engineers, Stephen Salter, emeritus
> professor of engineering design at Edinburgh university and a global
> pioneer of wave power research, has patented with Microsoft billionaires
> Bill Gates and Nathan Myhrvold the idea of using thousands of tyres lashed
> together to support giant plastic tubes which extend 100m deep into the
> ocean.

Were you affected by Sandy, Dylan?

Maybe we could talk more about biodynamics here, soil and health too. :-)