permaculture - [permaculture] The need to understand what permaculture is and what it stands for and spread that message far and wide.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] The need to understand what permaculture is and what it stands for and spread that message far and wide.
  • Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 21:20:55 -0400

I participated in a thread in a machinist forum. It turned out to be very productive with lots of interesting, informative comments. I just posted this in response to a really good insight from someone else:

Bill writes:
"Basically we need to do what every hunter-gatherer or farmer and his mate since stone-age days has had to do. Serve the best meals we can with what is available. Not what we WISH was available. People can meet that challenge, and do so every day.
Governments that make it harder need to be repaired or replaced.
Bill"

LL:
Ah, yes. Classic. Perfect. All should keep that goal in the forefront of their minds, then we would see some change.
There is a need to create an alternate and parallel economy for folks who need to survive using their wits, skills and hard work,
instead of feeding like parasites off the efforts of others. Enter the global permaculture movement. The next International Permaculture Convention will be in Cuba in 2013 and the one following will be in Hong Kong in 2014, because of a very forward thinking organization there that has embraced the principles and methods of permaculture
as originally conceived by Bill Mollison and described in his magnificent work Permaculture Designers Manual. He deserves the Nobel Prize for his work.

<><>

Those who would choose to reinvent permaculture so as to meet their own personal needs and goals or financial schemes are not going to contribute much to global acceptance and adoption of permaculture or help it realize full value for those who seek to learn and use it. I think I will be making this statement over and over for years to come; it does not wear out easily. If permaculture is expected to offer substantial help in solving economic, social and political problems facing a country's population then its description, purpose and mission
must be clearly understood. Its standards should be described, documented and distributed throughout the world for all to appreciate
and adopt.

LL

  • [permaculture] The need to understand what permaculture is and what it stands for and spread that message far and wide., venaurafarm, 11/03/2012