permaculture - Re: [permaculture] fukuoka_farming mailing list needs aco-moderator.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: robyn@permaculture.com.au
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] fukuoka_farming mailing list needs aco-moderator.
  • Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 08:04:07 -0400

Hi Dieter, the people subscribing to this system had never heard of Fukuoka. From what i understand this particular NF system came from Korea and has quite a following in parts of Japan. Fukuoka used legumes, had chickens and rotated his crops, there's absolutely no connection with him or his particular Natural Way of Farming.

My permie colleagues in Taiwan are quite concerned at the growth and popularity of this particular form of NF as it's very dogmatic and people with no understanding of natural/organic gardening or farming systems looking for alternatives to chemical ag are easily caught up by the hype and self-rightiousness of it's advocates. It's not a matter of cross cultural miscommunications, it's a very narrow dogmatic approach to growing food based on flawed assumptions.

I have come across many weird theories over the years regarding nature and food production so am not entirely surprised there's folk gullible enough to swallow this stuff.

It's actually quite unfortunate that this pseudo-science carries the name Natural Farming. I am primarily bringing this info into the conversation on NF to make at least those on this list aware that there's some strange stuff out there going under the banner of "Natural Farming" which is far removed and totally disconnected from anything Fukuoka ever did or taught.

Robyn

Quoting Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>:

Theres aNatural Farming system that
is gaining popularity in parts of
Asia, had a few folk doing PDCs in Taiwan the past few years
into one
of these new NF systems. they dont "believe" in use of
compost, mulch,
worms, animal manures, legumes or crop rotation, you plant
the same
plant  in the same place year after year and the plant

That is a dogmatic interpretation of Fukuoka I have found among Westerners.

I haven't heard of any natural farmers in the Far East taking that dogmatic approach.

Communication across the cultural divide can sometimes lead to misunderstanding.

Dieter