permaculture - Re: [permaculture] 2013 International Permaculture Convergence: Cuba: November 24-December 7, 2013

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] 2013 International Permaculture Convergence: Cuba: November 24-December 7, 2013
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 16:59:03 -0400

On 10/31/2012 3:04 PM, John D'hondt wrote:

That is the best news I have heard all year I think.

The Everglades were, I think, through Corps OF Engineers
draining and channeling, road construction, airport, Army training base,
housing developments, industry, shopping, reduced from 80 million acres down to 18 million. Think about that. Cattle ranchers have adopted conservation and protection measures for wildlife and created conservation easements on much of their land. On rancher said: we can't handle much more concrete taking water away".

I just can't believe the extent of the Everglades original draining, why
it was done over the objections of conservationists and regulators. Restoration and protection of this ecosystem has taken a long time just as establishment of many of the national parks did; much work was done by many people.

LL

  • Re: [permaculture] 2013 International Permaculture Convergence: Cuba: November 24-December 7, 2013, venaurafarm, 11/01/2012