permaculture - Re: [permaculture] nutrition -- sprouted kamut bread

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] nutrition -- sprouted kamut bread
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 00:07:35 -0400

On 10/28/2012 9:18 PM, Frances and David wrote:
Do you have a source to recommend for hand crank items?

I have been making water based kefir drinks with the fruit tree harvest. We
call them fizzy drinks.
Apples work well and nice when ginger is added. Makes for a ginger ale like
experience.
I was whizzing up the fruit with water then straining through cloth. The
pulp makes a nice raw applesauce that keeps for days in the fridge (or
becomes a little ripe and is still good).

All that is right down my alley. I love drinks like those.

I find apple pectin an agreeable input in the fall.

Apple pectin, found in the skin, is very important in ridding the body of toxins.

People have called the body the temple, but I'm finding it no stretch at all
to think of it as a garden.

Yes, it is interesting to think of feeding the microflora the right foods, nutrients and innoculants to keep them in balance and in the right proportion. kim chee, kraut, kefir, green tea, fiber, plenty of liquid, etc.

I eat a lot of very hot red cayenne pepper, often, either powdered, flaked or whole pods. Here's a good all round recipe:

leafy green potherbs, collards, cabbage, mustard or turnip greens, kale or chard

wash and shred

add olive oil to carbon steel chef's wok
add greens, lots of red pepper pods, himalayan or celtic gray sea salt

stir fry until bright green
serve and enjoy

or fry up half pound of bacon in wok, remove from pan and cook the greens (lots of them) in the fat with salt and hot red pepper pods

One food I like to eat for its highly nutritive content is chia seeds. I've
taken to eating them whole in something like raw apple sauce or cooked oats
or oat bran. I feel that they retain their efa 3's further down the

I will have to try them! Thanks for the idea. Ground, organic flaxseed are also extremely important to good health. I have also used granular lecithin, oat bran and something no longer available from Fearn: corn germ, but I do eat a lot of hole grain corn grits.

alimentary canal that way, as efa's 3's are particularly heat sensitive. So,
I eat them with their protective spherical shape intact. Yummy, too.
I ate no starches whatsoever for many years. Definitely no grains. In the
end, it was wonderful to get back to eating some. But, earlier, it was a
revelation to go without and helped me to focus my mind.

Good! Glad you discovered a working regimen and stuck with it.

Back to the bread topic for a minute. Dave and I were chatting about the
grains and it's the gluten that will make a difference in actually forming a
bread that will hold together.

Essene bread; sprouted grains, ground and fermented then dehydrated and "baked" in the sun (or maybe really low heat in the oven).

Sprouts are just a really neat way to find superior nutrition and more
alkalinizing chemistry in many seeds and grains. Kitchen as garden.

Kitchen as garden! Yes. How about a big sprout farm! Lots of different kinds of sprouts grown different ways: sunflower and buckwheat grown in trays of compost & rock dust in a sunny window, alfalfa, broccoli, radish and others grown in gallon jars laid sideways on racks with open tops

I did create a separate mailing list for permaculturist's health called
pchealth
pchealth@lists.ibiblio.org