permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [fukuoka_farming] Haves and Have nots

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
  • Cc: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [fukuoka_farming] Haves and Have nots
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 14:27:34 -0400

On 10/2/2012 1:34 PM, N. J. Pierotti wrote:
We need to reinstitute the Commons for all people. Communities should
be encouraged to grow gardens together.

On Oct 2, 2012, at 10:31 AM, iyo_farm wrote:

Just to keep things into perspective land: ownership rights. Is
natural farming, permaculture etc going to end up a hobby pursuit for
privilged Westerners?

Is that really what it is all about?

"India's peasant farmers gather for protest march on Delhi"

http://www.ecoearth.info/shared/reader/welcome.aspx?linkid=293348

"They took all the trees, and put em in a tree museum And they
charged the people a dollar and a half to see them No, no, no,
don't it always seem to go That you don't know what you've got till
it's gone They paved paradise, and put up a parkin' lot"

Or, these days ... a strip mine, then bio-fuel monocrops for
wealthy Westerners.

Definitions of Permaculture
http://ibiblio.org/permaculture/documents/permaculture-definitions.faq

All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become.
Buddha

Fukuoka san's comment in an interview where Fukuoka san, Bill Mollison and Wes Jackson were present:

"The confusion started when humans ate the Fruit of Knowledge. Adam and Eve were thrown away from the Garden of Eden.
The only way to get back is to throw away the knowledge! Just become foolish like a bird or baby."

Commons Thinking

Commons Thinking
http://arts.brighton.ac.uk/stibbe-handbook-of-sustainability/chapters/commons-thinking
Justin Kenrick The Handbook of Sustainability Literacy, Arran Stibbe.
Supported by University of Brighton, Faculty of Arts: Sustainability Network.

"Commons Thinking: the ability to envisage and enable a viable futur through connected action,"
Justin Kenrick, University of Glasgow, and PEDAL Portobello Transition Town

"What is Commons Thinking?
The Commons are life-sustaining or life-enhancing resources and services that have not been divided up and assigned a monetary value in the global economy but instead are shared freely among members of a community or group. They range from the air we breath, pollination
provided by bees, land that provides food for gathering and sharing rather than selling, to words of comfort given freely and willingly rather than at an hourly rate. Pitted against the Commons, however, are the forces of Enclosure, which attempt to appropriate, own and sell resources that were once freely accessible, often breaking up communities and displacing people in the process. Commons regimes are communities which resist these forces and meet people's needs primarily or significantly through the Commons rather than through monetary exchange, existing both in the forests of the Amazon and in the last remaining tight-knit local communities in cities around the world...
This chapter aims to describe one important skill for rebuilding political, community and personal resilience."

Click for pdf download of the full chapter 'Commons Thinking' from the
Handbook for Sustainability Literacy
http://arts.brighton.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/5737/Commons-Thinking.pdf

  • Re: [permaculture] [fukuoka_farming] Haves and Have nots, venaurafarm, 10/02/2012