permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Encouraging article on permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Encouraging article on permaculture
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 13:19:38 -0400

On 9/17/2012 11:41 AM, Jason Gerhardt wrote:
Here is an article about an on the ground group of permaculturists that are
using permaculture design to develop solutions to problems without excess
countercultural baggage. As much as I like some of the baggage at times,
traveling light is the most promising way forward in my view.

As far back as I can remember it was all about nuts and bolts hands on homebrew do it yourself permaculture living, a natural carryover from
the 50's to 70's organic agriculture movement, back to the land homesteading and natural healthy living. For many, though, the woo woo and airy fairy equipment floats their boat and keeps them active and motivated. Its when that becomes a religion dominating the practical aspects of permaculture that things get weird. The third permaculture ethic seems popular and is part and parcel of the discipline. From the article below:

"Although the definition is as ever-changing as the environment it seeks to imitate, permaculture is an ecological design system that aims to create efficiency using three main tenets: take care of the earth, take care of the people, and share the surplus."

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/charleston/permaculture-its-not-just-for-hippies-and-homesteaders-anymore/Content?oid=4156611

This is an excellent article, one of the best promotions of permaculture I have seen in the media. I like the closing statement:

"In the end, it's hard to argue with a movement that advocates getting
more for less, playing nice with others, and improving this little
planet we call home. If nothing else, creating a self-sufficient
homestead and strong community is the ultimate insurance policy against
a bad economy, natural disaster, or worst-case scenario, zombie apocalypse. "

That is really a fine message. Google search on "permaculture design solutions for zombies" returned many fascinating real PC sites.