permaculture - [permaculture] Foods and herbs for long term health and longevity Re: A leverage point we all can do something about

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Foods and herbs for long term health and longevity Re: A leverage point we all can do something about
  • Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 20:29:36 -0400

On 9/2/2012 6:16 PM, Linda Ray wrote:
I still want to know if someone is trying to sell me GMO ingredients or GMO
produce.
So that I can ditch it.

We were talking about certain foods and herbs for long term health and longevity. A partial list I came up with includes:

cinnamonn
cloves
blueberries
tomatoes
pawpaws (?, off the charts nutrition-wise)
pomegranite
broccoli
cod liver oil
green tea

grass fed meat (on crops grown in soil with plenty of life, nutrients and balanced nutrients)

raw food meals

dairy products from goat and sheep milk

wild foods

<>

About cinnamon: I was shopping in Whole Foods the other night and bought a quantity of common cinnamon, the variety with the sweet smell;
Frontier brand, in bulk. They offered another variety with an Indian name that I had never seen or heard of before. This has a cinnamon-like smell but not as sweet and a little peppery, perfect for stir fry mixed with hot red pepper and possibly black or white pepper; lemon grass might also be good in this mixture of seasonings.
Anyone know anything about varieties of cinnamon other than the most common and whether it can be included in the group of foods and herbs promoting health and longevity?