permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Utah Garden Challenge for Suckers

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Utah Garden Challenge for Suckers
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2012 09:09:17 -0400

On 7/7/2012 12:54 PM, Alia Tsang wrote:
Alarmist much?

Here's the full text. You decide.

<><><><><><>

Utah Garden Challenge for Suckers
http://morphcity.com/home/117-utah-garden-challenge-for-suckers

Utah Garden Challenge for Suckers
E-mail
Print
PDF

By Cassandra Anderson
July 5, 2012

UDAFThe Utah Department of Agriculture and Food is promoting the Utah
Garden Challenge in order to collect information about independent
food production for the USDA.

The Utah Garden Challenge is a voluntary contest to register 10,000
gardens. The data mining project has a broad interest in any
"resource" who is growing food:

"Whether you grow a tomato in a pot, a row in a community garden, have
backyard gardens, a CSA or working fruit and vegetable farm, we want
to hear from you because you are an important resource as a food
producer."

While the contest paints a proud face on independent food production,
it is important to remember that registering with the government sets
up a system to track, tax, permit or confiscate the registered item.
Gun ownership is a good example of this scheme.

According to a pop-up window on the official website, participants'
gardens will be registered with the USDA's National Agricultural
Statistics Service (NASS):

UtahGardenChallenge"We need to know how much food is being produced in
Utah. The Census of Agriculture is done every 5 years. Every
agricultural operation in Utah, regardless of size, is vital to this
question. If you produce $1000 of agricultural products, you can
influence economic development and decision making by filling out a
NASS survey. We will only share your information with NASS by your
permission. Your response to the census of agriculture is protected
by law. For more information, you can go to www.agcensus.gov "

In other words, people who produce $1000 or more worth of food have an
impact on the food market, and the USDA wants to know about what you
are doing in your backyard.

Victory gardens in America produced up to 40% of all vegetables
consumed during World War II, with over 20 millon home gardens and
community plots that produced over 9 million tons of food.

The USDA is notorious for its corrupt partnerships and revolving door
business relationships with big commercial agriculture.

Government Crackdowns & Food Control

Food is under attack because if you can grow your own food, have
access to water and shelter, then what use do you have for a
government master?

The federal government has profoundly overstepped its constitutional
authority on all fronts, and there are a number of examples of the
USDA's outrageous control over food that include SWAT team raids on
raw milk sellers and fruit tree confiscation.

The Food Safety Modernization Act expanded the power of the FDA and
its sister agency, the USDA. The law is bad for many reasons and is
an overwhelming burden on small and independent farmers due to
over-regulation and increase in paperwork and reporting.

Additionally, the FBI identifies people who store food as potential terrorists!

Why Is Utah a Threat?

1. A few months ago Utah voted down a Food Freedom Bill that would
have made it a crime for anyone, including Utah state agents, to
enforce the Food Safety Modernization Act's unconstitutional mandates.
It would have made farmers who trade only inside of state lines
exempt. The bill was a direct constitutional challenge to federal
overreach.

2. Highland City, Utah passed a Food Freedom ordinance that exempts
residents from federal regulations on food that is produced, exchanged
and consumed within city limits (state laws still apply).

3. Utah has the largest concentration of members of The Church of
Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as Mormons) who have an
official policy of food storage, currently set at a 1-year minimum
supply. This may be construed as a threat by the FBI, especially
since a 1-year supply of food can cost as little as $225.

Conclusion

Survivalist.com points out that the Utah Garden Challenge is linked to
the United Nations Agenda 21 Sustainable Development plan for
totalitarian control.

The Utah Garden Challenge is enticing Utahans with meager prizes (a
1-in-1000 chance of winning a giftcard or free restaurant dinner) to
register their gardens and subject themselves to invasive government
data mining. But is your food independence worth it?