permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Yield comparisons with industrial farming?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Yield comparisons with industrial farming?
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 17:04:40 -0700

On Apr 26, 2012, at 4:47 PM, Dieter Brand wrote:

> That would mean that there would have to be nearly 300 millions hectares
> of farmland in the US. That seems a lot.

From http://www.ers.usda.gov/statefacts/US.HTM

Total US cropland 406,424,909 acres in 2007
Total US pasture 408,832,116 acres

Assuming we should count all the pasture, and since it's land that is being
ruined by agriculture, I think so, that's 815 million acres of land for food
production, or

330 million hectares. One per US person. The Egyptians did much better.

Thanks for the exercise, Dieter.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com